Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.3.28: Fun With DirectDraw/OpenGL, VBScript

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.28: Fun With DirectDraw/OpenGL, VBScript

Wine 1.3.27 brought Direct3D multi-sampling support and other features just two weeks ago, but it's been replaced today by Wine 1.3.28. There's some exciting changes in this release too with DirectDraw now defaulting to the OpenGL renderer, an initial version of the VBScript parser, and other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any benchmarks? Before and after benchmarks especially.

Comment

While you are at it...

Can you write article about how this Wine testing look like?
      What is done? How i done? And maybe examplary tests.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Wine 1.3.28: Fun With DirectDraw/OpenGL, VBScript

Wine 1.3.27 brought Direct3D multi-sampling support and other features just two weeks ago, but it's been replaced today by Wine 1.3.28. There's some exciting changes in this release too with DirectDraw now defaulting to the OpenGL renderer, an initial version of the VBScript parser, and other changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTg5Mw
        What was the DirectDraw default render before the change to OpenGL?

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        wine is a awesome pice of software!...

and wine also beats nativ linux programm versions...

i get 3-4 more fps in hon with better graphic if i use wine...

also firefox is faster in wine as nativ.. and so one.
        Sometimes, programs run faster on Linux using WINE than they run on Windows. It depends on the program. I cannot comment on HoN, but in the case of Firefox, Mozilla has intentionally made the Linux version slower because if they need to choose a platform to make a new feature function, they choose Windows. Linux, Mac OS X and every other UNIX OS comes second in terms of getting the latest improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          I cannot comment on HoN, but in the case of Firefox, Mozilla has intentionally made the Linux version slower
          [citation needed]

Comment

Bug 27779

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              [citation needed]
              The build systems disable tracemonkey and profile guided optimization. I thought that this was common knowledge among Linux users. You can google it if you somehow don't know.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              you are wrong because even without gpu acceleration the windows firefox is faster in wine!

thats because the compiler settings for the windows version a tweaked and very aggressive and the Linux version is compiled by the distro with slow settings.
              I was not talking about "GPU acceleration". You are half right about the compiler settings, but it is because profile guided optimization is not being done. There is very little in terms of compiler flag tweaking that can be done to make firefox significantly faster. The speed is limited by asymptotics. Tracemonkey falls into that category.

Comment

Firefox 6 enabled PGO optimizations

And tracemonkey has always been enabled, afaik.

However, you are correct that often optimizations are first done for Windows, then ported to OSX and Linux when time is available. Sometimes that never happens.

Comment

pgo

As far as i know, latest official mozilla builds includes PGO on linux as well, and so it is on archlinux.
                  Can't see why other distributions like ubuntu shouldn't do it too, nor i know if that statement is true.

Comment

in my experience, firefox works faster on linux, its more responsive, but yes, flash is slower, java slower, but in windows firefox is less responsive

Comment

Working...
                    X