X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha. Power users my butt. :P

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
      The options were removed by purpose, so why should they be put back? Also, configuration options are really evil from an interaction design perspective. (Power) users think they want them, but in reality options make software worse.
      You're assuming one work flow works for all. Simply looking at the disabled proves that to be a false assumption.
      Some of the ideas, and even some of the implementations, of GS are very good and need to be tried to improve the experience for most but for now removing options (like deciding how the computer reacts when you press the power button) when the paradigm hasn't been proven and there are technical problems with the chosen defaults seems pretty obviously like bad decisions (yes, I've read the discussions that are available, mostly bug reports and mailing lists, irc is still not being logged).
      Frankly, one of the biggest annoyances is the seeming lack of interest in doing the very hard work of finding novel solutions to the problems (which is the obvious direction to go in since they've abandoned the old interface). The problems all too often are simply taking the solutions used in OS X and iOS (used interchangeably thus mixing user paradigms, i.e. an inherently WIMP system and one that is a bit of a hybrid). Seriously, read the bug reports where some of these problems are discussed (h-online listed some of these recently for the 3.1.5 release).
      Sorry for the small rant. The desktop-devel mailing list has been getting under my skin lately with even some guy named Alan Cox mentioning that some of the developers seem to be concerned as to what the results of a possible poll might be (he seemed to think they were being worried, uneccessarily).

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
        Power Users want a UI that gets in their way as little as possible without having to spend a ton of time configuring it that way.
        Heh... yeah well that is pretty much why I like Gnome 3. The interface is minimalistic, smooth and very functional. Can it improve? Certainly! Will it improve? Most likely.

I would very much like Fluxbox/Kwin-style window grouping in the Shell, a quick file filter bar, terminal and tree-style views a la Dolphin in Nautilus, an extensive Pidgin-like plugin library with encryption options in Empathy and a way to hide a couple of windows such as Gkrellm from dashes and such, a more configurable Gedit etc but actually, for the most part, Gnome 3 works just fine over here and I can certainly recommend it to most "power users".

I think this project looks very interesting and look forward to trying it out:

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
          Users that complain they have to install a GUI to change some of the defaults are not 'Power Users'. There is nothing wrong with installing software to enhance your system. I will never understand why people have such a aversion to it on Linux when people on Windows or OS X obviously have no problem with it.
          Great points. The first, especially, is one I've used in the past. If someone can't make changes to d/gconf without a gui then they aren't power users. OTOH, the gui makes things ALOT easier.

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
            Heh... yeah well that is pretty much why I like Gnome 3. The interface is minimalistic, smooth and very functional. Can it improve? Certainly! Will it improve? Most likely.

I would very much like Fluxbox/Kwin-style window grouping in the Shell, a quick file filter bar, terminal and tree-style views a la Dolphin in Nautilus, an extensive Pidgin-like plugin library with encryption options in Empathy and a way to hide a couple of windows such as Gkrellm from dashes and such, a more configurable Gedit etc but actually, for the most part, Gnome 3 works just fine over here and I can certainly recommend it to most "power users".

I think this project looks very interesting and look forward to trying it out:
            http://gfxmonk.net/shellshape/
            I'm not sure if this is what you are asking but you can pin windows (gkrellm) to specific desktops.
            As for Gedit, have you looked at its plugin list online? It has lots of plugins. That's kinda the point of it. A nice simple text editor but with a very powerful but clean plugin system (in fact their plugin library, libpeas, has become the official gnome plugin library).

Comment

Ha. Power users my butt. :P
              Is that really something you want to advertise to all of the Internet?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                Great points. The first, especially, is one I've used in the past. If someone can't make changes to d/gconf without a gui then they aren't power users. OTOH, the gui makes things ALOT easier.
                You just install gnome-tweak-tool.

Comment

You just install gnome-tweak-tool.
                  That's what I do, and with the addition of sweet tooth you might not even need gtt.

Comment

Cool idea. Unfortunately I really, really hate epiphany so I will never use this.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      I'm not sure if this is what you are asking but you can pin windows (gkrellm) to specific desktops.
                      As for Gedit, have you looked at its plugin list online? It has lots of plugins. That's kinda the point of it. A nice simple text editor but with a very powerful but clean plugin system (in fact their plugin library, libpeas, has become the official gnome plugin library).
                      I use gkrellm in window mode pinned to all desktops instead of panel mode, since the latter does not allow it to be put behind all other windows (where I want it) and instead is always visible and consumes a certain amount of screen real estate. What I would like to do is to be able to hide this particular window from all window lists. Not sure this can be done.

Comment

Working...
                      X