Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DavidNielsen
    replied
    I'd love it if they would stop their FUD and shipped Mono with RHEL7. Preferably packaged in a manner more consistent with Upstream (and what debian/Ubuntu does) rather than the backwards Fedora packaging.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Here is my wishlist:
    • An IDE for UNIX systems that functions similarly to Microsoft Visual Studio in both performance and ease of use.
    Keep dreaming. Eclipse/NetBeans/QtCreator are the tallest leprechauns in the Unix/Linux world.

As to the System V compatibility - all the stuff that was worth supporting is already supported in Linux. Linux was meant as a Unix-like platform, not as a free Unix swap solution, so the policy is - change your source code to use the (better) Linux solution. On the desktop - Linux is already _the_ OS from which the "true" Unixes like BSD and Solaris copy code and adapt to their needs (graphics drivers, KMS). Get used to it - upgrade your code to the new reality, not the OS (Linux) to the old API.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Proper NFS4 support.
    Legal mp3 and h.264 codecs.
    Stop enabling Lennart Poettering.
    Keep Ulrich Drepper away from the public.

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    Here is an addendum:
    • Generic improvements to power management so that the air conditioners in datacenters do not have to work as hard and the electric bills better correspond to the actual work done.

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    Here is my wishlist:
    • Official repositories that rival other distributions in having up to date software and a large variety (e.g. >15,000 packages).
    • The ability to have the package manager recompile installed software with -march=native to take better advantage of the CPU. (e.g. AVX Support)
    • SAMBA 4 so that legacy Windows 7 systems can use RHEL servers as domain login servers.
    • First party support for the installation of Microsoft Office in a multiple user configuration via a compatibility layer (e.g. CrossOver, WINE)
    • An open source flash plugin like what IcedTea is for Java so that legacy software can be used without compromising security.
    • RDP support in KVM-QEMU to enable access to virtual infrastructure from legacy Windows machines on which installing the SPICE client is not always an option.
    • Proper KVM PCIe Passthrough Support so PCI devices behind PCIe-to-PCI bridges will work.
    • The ability to run the KVM SPICE server on a UNIX domain socket.
    • Improvements in the KVM vmware graphics device so that Windows Aero works via the VMWare WDDM 3D Windows driver, both in situations where the host lacks a GPU and in situations where one is installed.
    • Virtualized GPGPU functionality in KVM (e.g. CUDA, OpenCL).
    • Better POSIX support (e.g. implementation of gettid() in libc, proper implementation of UNIX System V syscall codes, etcetera).
    • Better written manpages that explain how signal handling works in conjunction with threads.
    • An IDE for UNIX systems that functions similarly to Microsoft Visual Studio in both performance and ease of use.
    • First party support for alternative compilers such as LLVM/Clang.
    • The ability for system administrators to use GRUB with UEFI systems, without any need for the much more cumbersome GRUB2 (e.g. do the work to push the Fedora UEFI GRUB patches upstream)

I am not a RedHat customer, but I hope that my wishlist will make it to RedHat. I know some organizations that do not use RHEL specifically because of items on my wishlist.
    Last edited by Shining Arcanine; 08-31-2011, 01:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Ideas Are Needed

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Ideas Are Needed

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Ideas Are Needed

Red Hat is beginning to look for feedback and ideas from their enterprise customers about what they would like to see from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, the next major release of their flagship Linux operating system...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTg1OA
Working...
X