A Performance Overhaul Of KDE's KWin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    I think the consequences of unredirecting are too much of an engineering headache to make it worth the performance gain. When you unredirect a window, you either have to disable compositing entirely, or else figure out a way to work around the limitations of unredirecting. For instance, what do you do if a modal dialog window pops up in front of the fullscreen app? Plenty of "fullscreen" applications would want this; for instance, for generating a dropdown menu in many widget toolkits, they create a new XWindow.

[...]
    I like that. Problem is and always has been the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      And whenever I was complaining about KWin being slow for me, I was labeled a troll or liar. In your faces, hypocrites.

And hoorey for Martin; at least the problem will be fixed, at last.
      This. Though I think I remember you mocking those like me who wondered how on Earth it's normal to get tons of FPS in Quake 3 and 30 or so moving a window around.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
        This. Though I think I remember you mocking those like me who wondered how on Earth it's normal to get tons of FPS in Quake 3 and 30 or so moving a window around.
        Don't worry about it. Everybody gets mocked here, t? tambien.

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
          All very nice... but I imagine that full screen videos/opengl play like crap. (mutter does not unredirect full screen apps).

It does now https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnom.../msg00190.html

Comment

Great news. This guy is doing fantastic work. I'm on Gnome 3 these days but improvements like this are always welcome and keeps me doing desktop jumps :-)

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              Don't worry about it. Everybody gets mocked here, t? tambien.
              lol

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by nzjrs View Post
                Is there an echo in this thread?

Comment

All very nice... but I imagine that full screen videos/opengl play like crap. (mutter does not unredirect full screen apps).
                  I guess you haven't seen the latest Mutter release?

Comment

(mutter does not unredirect full screen apps).
                    Until yesterday.

Comment

Good for Martin for properly digging into this. It seems that actually rendering at 60fps is going out of style, at least partly based on the ignorant notion that because films are acceptable at 24fps, anything higher in any context must be overkill. It's good to see someone having it as a goal, especially for a (mostly) 2D app where the difference is more likely to be noticeable.

Comment

Working...
                      X