Clear All

Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
    1. Enter Sinlge Winodw mode
    2. Enter "Maximized mode", also known as fullscreen
    3. Create new image
    Enjoy the window warping........ *grumbles*
    Window Warping?

Comment

ua=42: Window changing size without permission, window leaving fullscreen without permision, etc.
      Do you have a better word?

Comment

Wouldn't 3.0 be the perfect opportunity to change the stupid and offensive name?

I think so. However, as most people using gimp aren't professional, it's not likely to happen. Unfortunate, because a viable photoshop alternative would be useful.

Oh well.

Definition of GIMP

1 : cripple 1a
        2 : limp <walks with a gimp ? Damon Runyon>

Also the word is most popularized by the sexual slavery fictionalized in Pulp Fiction.

Comment

Progress toward a failed Photoshop clone?

Why do the GIMP developers have to keep fidgeting with the user interface? A while back they rearranged the Layer and Color menus for no reason, and it took many months of user complaints and a new version number to get them to put it back. The current version forces a large blank window to stay open when no image is loaded (mistake), forces the toolbox to remain on top even in full screen image editing mode (very big mistake), and the GIMP website advises users that GIMP can not be used effectively without a useless, redundant dock window open, to hold tools that belong on tabs in the main toolbox (that's just ignorant).

And now this ugliness, amounting to outright sabotage: "We just ate your screen real estate for no reason, enjoy editing your images through a tiny porthole." Clearly, the GIMP UI developers know and care about Photoshop users, not GIMP users.

The GIMP's x-windows style UI is the largest functional difference between the two packages and the ONLY reason to prefer it, because it enables faster, more efficient workflow. Other than "something Photoshop users don't understand" do the GIMP UI developers even know what a tear-off menu is? The original x-windows interface enables the GIMP to be customized per-job on the fly, and used effectively on workstations that are short of screen resolution and/or real estate. Let's just take that all that away from our users, shall we gentlemen?

If the GIMP developers insist on turning GIMP into a failed Photoshop clone, I will just switch over to the image editor that the GIMP UI developers consider "the One True Photo Editor" and start advocating for others to do likewise. For now I will lock down the current GIMP version in my package managers and make sure to archive it - and all the useful plugins - as well. It looks like the GIMP is about to take a crippling hit... and the name will finally be accurate in all contexts.
          Last edited by Steve K; 23 August 2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Anecdotal evidence aside, I'm SURE the name of the program is the reason it hasn't been fully embraced by the artsy folks

BTW, they've had a working single window mode since at least the previous release.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
              Seriously?
              There are two definitions for gimp that existed when they picked the name for the project.

Definition, Synonyms, Translations of gimp by The Free Dictionary

So yeah, that's why I think it is a bad name for a program that isn't about S&M or gimping people.
              I still don't see what's offensive about "GIMP". The capitalization makes it pretty obvious this is an acronym, not a derogatory word.

Maybe it's because I don't live in US or Canada (like most GIMP users - imagine that!)

Comment

*shrug* Single window mode is for people with shitty window managers.

take Photoshop as a example...
                Photoshop for OS X uses multiple separate windows.
                Photoshop for Windows uses single big window.

Single Window mode is more about making Windows users happy then anything else, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  I still don't see what's offensive about "GIMP". The capitalization makes it pretty obvious this is an acronym, not a derogatory word.

Maybe it's because I don't live in US or Canada (like most GIMP users - imagine that!)
                  Blackstar, don't even bother with this.
                  Everytime GIMP gets mentioned you have these people come out of the woodwork.
                  I'm American and guess what? I haven't met too many people who know about the pulp fiction gimp reference, but they know the term "gimped" (meaning something damaged/broken; defective in some way).
                  The people that are usually offended by this probably haven't seen the movie, and those who know the reference, for the most part, would think it's kinda cool.
                  This is all from my experience, and obviously MHO.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                    *shrug* Single window mode is for people with shitty window managers.

take Photoshop as a example...
                    Photoshop for OS X uses multiple separate windows.
                    Photoshop for Windows uses single big window.

Single Window mode is more about making Windows users happy then anything else, IMO.
                    People say this, but I haven't seen the window manager that makes it easier to use GIMP in native mode on a small single screen. Honestly, I don't see the advantage of separate windows without multiple monitors.
                    Most WM do the same things, take the same hints.
                    As for Windows, XP had a damn good WM 10 years ago. It let you group windows in the window list, offset stacking, tiling (horizontal/vertical and fit, IIRC). That's not too bad, IMHO.

Best/Liam

Comment

If multiple windows were such a great idea, Gimp wouldn't be the only program using them. I can't think of any other program I run which splatters multiple windows all over the screen and forces them to the front so that I end up with about a quarter of the screen available to actually see the image I'm working with.

The current Gimp UI is an abomination. Maybe it's better if you have multiple windows and use it all day, but I absolutely hate it... just not quite enough to boot into Windows so I can use something better instead.

Comment

Working...
                      X