X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hal2k1
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    I get 25 fps with open source driver and radeon integrated graphics.
    I get 33 fps with open source radeon Gallium3D driver, for either my R710 GPU graphics card system or my AMD C50 Ontairo Fusion APU netbook.

On both I get about 44 fps if I disable kwin compositing.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by b15hop View Post
    That was tested again in win7 hpe x64 but this time with a 4870 x2 on firefox 6...
    When I try out the linux catalyst drivers I can use them to compare speed.
    Maybe I didn't understand your post, but GPU and graphics drivers will have no impact on the V8 tests.

That is a javascript CPU only test.

GPU acceleration will only affect stuff that is actually drawing something on the screen.

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    I get 25 fps with open source driver and radeon integrated graphics.

Leave a comment:

• Sidicas
    replied
    How well does your PC do with this benchmark?

I get <1 FPS without GPU acceleration under Linux w/ Catalyst 9.3 drivers..

Leave a comment:

• b15hop
    replied
    Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
    How is your comment relevant in relation to the topic, "The GPU Acceleration Situation In Firefox 6"?

My point was that GPU acceleration does work to some extent in Firefox 6 for the open source Linux Gallium3D drivers for AMD/ATI r600/r700/Evergreen/N.Islands GPUs (r600g).

Your point?
    Yeah have not tested in Linux as yet.

V8 Benchmark Suite - version 6:
    Code:
    Score: 4188
    Richards: 5977
    DeltaBlue: 4734
    Crypto: 6658
    RayTrace: 4042
    EarleyBoyer: 3949
    RegExp: 1266
    Splay: 5935
    That was tested again in win7 hpe x64 but this time with a 4870 x2 on firefox 6...
    When I try out the linux catalyst drivers I can use them to compare speed.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    Firefox gpu acceleration in linux is still absolute shot for me (its only gotten semi-usable in firefox 8). It just makes everything slower right now If I enable opengl layers.

I have intel ironlake graphics.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Xrender is an interface between the program which wishes to draw graphics and the GPU 3D drivers.

"It is designed to target the 3D graphics capabilities of newer video cards."

Xrender performance has everything to do with the 3D drivers.
    I know what XRender is. Support for it uses the 3D hardware (at least for non-Intel or post-SBA) but it is coded in the DDX drivers that come with X.Org. It has absolutely nothing to do with Mesa or r600g, other than the fact that people working on one may improve some common code in the kernel and end up helping both.

Cairo graphics has several back-ends:

"Cairo is designed to use hardware acceleration when available."

"Cairo supports output to a number of different backends, known as "surfaces" in its code. Backend support includes output to the X Window System, Win32 GDI, Mac OS X Quartz, the BeOS API, OS/2, OpenGL contexts (directly and via glitz)"

Cairo graphics rendering performance can therefore also be greatly enhanced by the GPU drivers.
    Cairo uses XRender by default in this case (the X Window System support you mention), which is done by the 2D DDX drivers. It has an experimental OpenGL backend but that is not used and not ready to be used.

Regarding "On Win7 it will test Direct2D instead" - Phoronix is a Linux forum. Off topic.
    I was referring to one of the previous commenters who stated they got 60+ fps on Win7. That is because of the D2D support Firefox added, and not because of fast D3D support. Similarly, on Linux it is testing the DDX driver through XRender and not OpenGL in the gallium drivers.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 16 August 2011, 04:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hal2k1
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Actually, that test doesn't have anything to do with the Mesa 3D drivers. (r600g)

It's testing Cairo and XRender performance. On Win7 it will test Direct2D instead.

I believe there was some bug in the way they were using xrender they fixed which brought the big speedup. (using the PAD extension?)
    Xrender is an interface between the program which wishes to draw graphics and the GPU 3D drivers.

"It is designed to target the 3D graphics capabilities of newer video cards."

Xrender performance has everything to do with the 3D drivers.

Cairo graphics has several back-ends:

"Cairo is designed to use hardware acceleration when available."

"Cairo supports output to a number of different backends, known as "surfaces" in its code. Backend support includes output to the X Window System, Win32 GDI, Mac OS X Quartz, the BeOS API, OS/2, OpenGL contexts (directly and via glitz)"

Cairo graphics rendering performance can therefore also be greatly enhanced by the GPU drivers.

Regarding "On Win7 it will test Direct2D instead" - Phoronix is a Linux forum. Off topic.
    Last edited by hal2k1; 16 August 2011, 03:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    How is your comment relevant in relation to the topic, "The GPU Acceleration Situation In Firefox 6"?

My point was that GPU acceleration does work to some extent in Firefox 6 for the open source Linux Gallium3D drivers for AMD/ATI r600/r700/Evergreen/N.Islands GPUs (r600g).

Your point?
    Actually, that test doesn't have anything to do with the Mesa 3D drivers. (r600g)

It's testing Cairo and XRender performance. On Win7 it will test Direct2D instead.

I believe there was some bug in the way they were using xrender they fixed which brought the big speedup. (using the PAD extension?)

Leave a comment:

• hal2k1
    replied
    Originally posted by b15hop View Post
    On win7 HPE x64 with 8GB of ram, onboard HD 5730, i7 720QM, I get 60+ fps with FF5. Not yet tried FF6... Will get back to you on this one...

Your point?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X