No announcement yet.

The GPU Acceleration Situation In Firefox 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox gpu acceleration in linux is still absolute shot for me (its only gotten semi-usable in firefox 8). It just makes everything slower right now If I enable opengl layers.

I have intel ironlake graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
      How is your comment relevant in relation to the topic, "The GPU Acceleration Situation In Firefox 6"?

My point was that GPU acceleration does work to some extent in Firefox 6 for the open source Linux Gallium3D drivers for AMD/ATI r600/r700/Evergreen/N.Islands GPUs (r600g).

Your point?
      Yeah have not tested in Linux as yet.

V8 Benchmark Suite - version 6:
      Code:
      Score: 4188
      Richards: 5977
      DeltaBlue: 4734
      Crypto: 6658
      RayTrace: 4042
      EarleyBoyer: 3949
      RegExp: 1266
      Splay: 5935
      That was tested again in win7 hpe x64 but this time with a 4870 x2 on firefox 6...
      When I try out the linux catalyst drivers I can use them to compare speed.

Comment

How well does your PC do with this benchmark?

I get <1 FPS without GPU acceleration under Linux w/ Catalyst 9.3 drivers..

Comment

I get 25 fps with open source driver and radeon integrated graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
            That was tested again in win7 hpe x64 but this time with a 4870 x2 on firefox 6...
            When I try out the linux catalyst drivers I can use them to compare speed.
            Maybe I didn't understand your post, but GPU and graphics drivers will have no impact on the V8 tests.

That is a javascript CPU only test.

GPU acceleration will only affect stuff that is actually drawing something on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              I get 25 fps with open source driver and radeon integrated graphics.
              I get 33 fps with open source radeon Gallium3D driver, for either my R710 GPU graphics card system or my AMD C50 Ontairo Fusion APU netbook.

On both I get about 44 fps if I disable kwin compositing.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Maybe I didn't understand your post, but GPU and graphics drivers will have no impact on the V8 tests.

That is a javascript CPU only test.

GPU acceleration will only affect stuff that is actually drawing something on the screen.
                Not only was the OP not talking about graphics GPU acceleration, he was also talking about Windows. WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                  How well does your PC do with this benchmark?

I get <1 FPS without GPU acceleration under Linux w/ Catalyst 9.3 drivers..
                  ubuntu 11.04
                  open drivers
                  radeon 4850
                  firefox 6
                  60+ fps

V8
                  Score: 3317
                  Richards: 5072
                  DeltaBlue: 3921
                  Crypto: 2998
                  RayTrace: 3967
                  EarleyBoyer: 4150
                  RegExp: 1357

Comment

V8 scores

V8 benchmark scores should go up about 1000 points when TI lands. After that, FF devs seem to think most of the rest of the difference between it and Chrome comes down to the garbage collector. Planned changes to bring the FF GC up to speed are upcoming, but may not happen for another 3-4 months while TI settles.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                      Firefox gpu acceleration in linux is still absolute shot for me (its only gotten semi-usable in firefox 8). It just makes everything slower right now If I enable opengl layers.

I have intel ironlake graphics.
                      Strange.
                      On a T510 with 4500MHD(Ironlake) I see no change in performance whether I force-enable acceleration or not (and for that firefox rotational benchmark mentioned earlier I get around 44fps on an M620).
                      However, I DID have massive slowdowns awhile back with FF4, IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                      X