Adobe Flash 11 Beta 2 Is More Stable, Faster On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    You're saying that a screenshot can capture the tearing effect when not using a compositor? Ha, I want to see that happen.
    You've never read a game review online? They never enabled vsync and so had tearing in the screenshots, well before Vista and the first compositor there.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      You've never read a game review online? They never enabled vsync and so had tearing in the screenshots, well before Vista and the first compositor there.
      No, they didn't. They can only take pictures of it or try to recreate it artificially in the screenshots in order to explain to the readers what tearing is.

A screenshot can only capture whatever data is in the video RAM, not what the monitor is displaying at the moment. You cannot capture data that doesn't exist anymore. Tearing occurs exactly because the monitor is still displaying data that isn't there any longer (bottom) together with data that still exists (top). The "line" separating those two results in the tearing effect, and can never, ever, be captured by software running on the machine.

Comment

Counterpoint: fglrx video tearing w/ xvideo and no compositor. That appears in a lot of screenshots here in phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Counterpoint: fglrx video tearing w/ xvideo and no compositor. That appears in a lot of screenshots here in phoronix.
          Counter-counter-point: Explain to me how screenshots can have tearing if there's no compositor. The most probable explanation is that they hadn't disabled compositing as they thought.

Comment

That I do not know Unless something is drawing single-buffered.

Comment

No, they didn't. They can only take pictures of it or try to recreate it artificially in the screenshots in order to explain to the readers what tearing is.

A screenshot can only capture whatever data is in the video RAM, not what the monitor is displaying at the moment. You cannot capture data that doesn't exist anymore. Tearing occurs exactly because the monitor is still displaying data that isn't there any longer (bottom) together with data that still exists (top). The "line" separating those two results in the tearing effect, and can never, ever, be captured by software running on the machine.
              Hold on, when you say "screen shot" are you talking about a frame buffer grab ? If so I agree completely, but that's not what I would call a screen shot.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Hold on, when you say "screen shot" are you talking about a frame buffer grab ? If so I agree completely, but that's not what I would call a screen shot.
                The Ctrl+PrnScrn (or Alt+PrnScrn) thingy that was there (since the Windows 95 days, even) long before compositors even existed. Unless with "screen shot" you would mean shooting your screen with a shotgun :-P

Comment

The Ctrl+PrnScrn (or Alt+PrnScrn) thingy that was there (since the Windows 95 days, even) long before compositors even existed. Unless with "screen shot" you would mean shooting your screen with a shotgun :-P
                  Ahh, yes. That's not real useful at the best of times... never captured video overlay, hw cursor, or any of the other cool GPU functions.

Shotguns usually result in display distortion that's a lot worse than tearing
                  Test signature

Comment

With ati binary 11.7 on a 64bit gentoo, i have software video decoding and software rendering in both Flash 10.3 and 11 beta 2.
                    No way to get it to do anything on the graphics card.
                    It's also hard to get out of fullscreen mode in youtube (alt+tab does the trick sometimes).

How did you enable ANY kind of flash acceleration using the ati-drivers?

Comment

I have to correct myself.
                      Using flash 10.3, video rendering is accelerated in fullscreen mode.
                      And with no (or maybe little) tearing.

Comment

Working...
                      X