• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic MPlayer2 Is Still Alive & Kicking

MPlayer2 Is Still Alive & Kicking

Phoronix: MPlayer2 Is Still Alive & Kicking

Back in March I reported on the MPlayer2 fork of the popular MPlayer multi-media application. MPlayer2 came as a result of one of the MPlayer developers being denounced from the group and from there the developer and others took to implementing their own desired features and functionality from a fork of the open-source code-base. But how's the MPlayer2 project now doing?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTc4Mg

• xyzone
    replied
    I use it all the time and have been for a while. mplayer1 jitters sometimes on vdpau.

I just think they should change the name and the config files to avoid confusion. I still use mencoder and mplayer1 on occasion. it's relatively very minor and not nearly as important as ordinary HD videos, but mplayer2 seems to occasionally stutter on some oddball videos when using vdpau, like 15fps videos, for example.

Leave a comment:

• shirish
    replied
    Tried it but was unsuccessful. I am/was confused by the various options given in the info line. I just couldn't figure it out. Anyway now it doesn't matter for now I'm downloading the DVD version from some site.

About mplayer2 though, I did find some more interesting bits. See for e.g. :-

http://devel.mplayer2.org/browser/?order=date&desc=1 (as can be seen the last commit was just a day old, so cannot say its dead)

Also saw this :-

http://devel.mplayer2.org/roadmap

It seems either these bugs became after the release or were there before but sooner or later s/he (una) does plan to fix things even though his/her e-mail and mailing lists are not working atm.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Did you try running it without option when you have got a vcd in your drive? Look at "man vcdxrip" if you want to specify a differnet device name or enable verbose mode. it also can work with images.

Leave a comment:

• shirish
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    AFAIK, mplayer1 had "nothing new" for several years. Both mplayer1 and mplayer2 are intended to be built from the SVN/Git source code. There are no releases.
    Actually RealINC is right, I forgot to see the changelog.Debian.gz. This is what it says :-

Code:
    /usr/share/doc/mplayer2$ zcat changelog.Debian.gz | less

mplayer2-dmo (1:2.0~git20111203-0.2) unstable; urgency=low

* debian/control Added "Provides: mplayer".

-- Christian Marillat <marillat@debian.org>  Wed, 07 Dec 2011 07:43:13 +0100

mplayer2-dmo (1:2.0~git20111203-0.1) unstable; urgency=low

* Must conflicts with mplayer packages who doesn't use alternative.

-- Christian Marillat <marillat@debian.org>  Sun, 04 Dec 2011 22:38:08 +0100

mplayer2-dmo (1:2.0~git20111203-0.0) unstable; urgency=low

* New git snapshot.
      * Add an alternative for mplayer.

-- Christian Marillat <marillat@debian.org>  Sat, 03 Dec 2011 11:55:10 +0100
    So actually he is right.

Kano, you would have to help me because I do not have any idea how this vcdxrip has to be used. I have a series in 7 VCD's which I want to rip and have everything integrated into 1 DVD, that would be cool. I have no idea how to do that.

Leave a comment:

• jltyper
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    AFAIK, mplayer1 had "nothing new" for several years. Both mplayer1 and mplayer2 are intended to be built from the SVN/Git source code. There are no releases.
    Fine, fine. So its just their homepage that's dead. Really not the most encouraging thing, but maybe they can still pull through with some mpeg-1, VA-API support.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Without vaapi support mplayer2 is not even born.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by jltyper View Post
    Mplayer2 is dead. Nothing new for 11 months now.

Leave a comment:

• schmalzler
    replied
    Originally posted by jltyper View Post
    Mplayer2 is dead. Nothing new for 11 months now.
    Come on...
    Only because there were no new releases, it does not mean it is dead. Not every project wants to do such quick updates as kde or firefox (or kernel, recently).
    Just enjoy the commit log of mplayer2:
    http://git.mplayer2.org/mplayer2/log/
    I don't think, a dead project could produce such a log...

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    I never looked mpeg1 content for ages, where did you find those But you could install package vcdimager (for vcdxrip) to get the mpg files correctly out of it and try those. Maybe the vcd parser has got problems.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X