KDE SC 4.7.0 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Which card do you have again? I seem to remember it was one of the slowest r600g cards.
    No, it's actually one of the fast flagship cards of that generation. HD4870. I have already tried every tweak mentioned here long ago. Nothing helps. KWin after KDE 4.5 was getting slower and slower. Disabling KDE's VSync in systemsettings and setting vblank_mode to 0 helped a bit, but not much.

KWin's performance in recent versions is really crappy on my system. I once tried Compiz with KDE, but the integration sucks.
    Last edited by RealNC; 27 July 2011, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Kernel 3.0, Mesa Git master, xf86-video-ati Git master and "raster" with Qt 4.7.3. And it stinks.
      KDE SC 4.7 recommends Qt 4.7.4 under "System Requirements".

KDE is an open community of friendly people who want to create a world in which everyone has control over their digital life and enjoys freedom and privacy.

System Requirements
      In order to get the most out of these releases, we strongly recommend to use the latest version of Qt, as of today 4.7.4. This is necessary in order to assure a stable experience, as some improvements made to KDE software have actually been done in the underlying Qt framework.

In order to make full use of the capabilities of KDE's software, we also recommend to use the latest graphics drivers for your system, as this can improve the user experience substantially, both in optional functionality, and in overall performance and stability.
      If you are having a poor experience, and you are unable to meet the system requirements of KDE SC 4.7, then the easiest interim solution might be to change the desktop rendering backend to Xrender.

For other readers, for some balance ... KDE SC 4.7 is a fantastic experience for some users:

Today we expect the release of the KDE Plasma Workspaces in version 4.7 which is the first release including an OpenGL ES 2.0/EGL backend in KWin. This does not only allow us to run KWin on OpenGL …

Thanks for driving my poor GeForce 6150 towards graphics nirvana. Blur works amazingly here, effects are smooth and I can still see my graphics chip throttling down to 100 MHz.

Thanks also for enabling me to use the Lanczos shader with my GeForce 8500 GT. I never saw that feature running so smoothly in a computer.

Now, with KDE 4.7, I can pump more effects, get more performance and, in some cases, use even less CPU than never before. Thank you, KWin performance in KDE 4.7 is, for the first time, GREAT.

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
        KDE SC 4.7 recommends Qt 4.7.4 under "System Requirements".

http://kde.org/announcements/4.7/platform.php
        There is no such thing right now. Latest version of Qt is 4.7.3.

If you are having a poor experience, and you are unable to meet the system requirements of KDE SC 4.7, then the easiest interim solution might be to change the desktop rendering backend to Xrender.
        Xrender is much slower than what I currently have. So now I have slow, with Xrender I have super-slow. :-P

Comment

save yourself some pain, use the ati provided drivers.
          the open source drivers are hit and miss.

i just wish ati would release an updated driver to support 10.04 '$ graphics stack.
          for r300
          No, it's actually one of the fast flagship cards of that generation. HD4870. I have already tried every tweak mentioned here long ago. Nothing helps. KWin after KDE 4.5 was getting slower and slower. Disabling KDE's VSync in systemsettings and setting vblank_mode to 0 helped a bit, but not much.

KWin's performance in recent versions is really crappy on my system. I once tried Compiz with KDE, but the integration sucks.

Comment

ES seems to be useless with the open source r600g driver. KWin just crashes immediately.
            I didn't think GL ES support was built into the r600g driver by default, just regular GL support IIRC. Distros shipping KWin might be enabling GL ES in their builds, not sure.
            Last edited by bridgman; 28 July 2011, 12:47 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

I don't know if it helps, but it seems as if though disabling compatibility checks under the desktop config section not only gave me blur when everyone was crying that it didn't work with FLOSS (on Fedora with a HD5770 and HD5470), but everything went crash-free fast.

Did you try that?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                I didn't think GL ES support was built into the r600g driver by default, just regular GL support IIRC. Distros shipping KWin might be enabling GL ES in their builds, not sure.
                Hm, so Mesa Git master (which I'm using) does not provide ES for r600g?

Comment

@RealNC: I tried KWin with OpenGL2 on Kubuntu 11.10/r600g/mesa 7.11 and it works fairly well with a RadeonHD 4550/RV710. It should be smoother on 4870. I have no idea what you're doing wrong :\

Comment

Hm, so Mesa Git master (which I'm using) does not provide ES for r600g?
                    It does, but you will need the set the appropriate USE flag when emerging it.

Comment

Rant subject change

Nepomuk/Strigi - i'm curious - when will be usable? Here's simple test and big fail (again).

Comment

Working...
                      X