Azure Replacing Cairo In Mozilla Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I have this feeling that they have been focusing primarily on Windows for quite a long time now.
    the majority is using windows so it makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      drag, you ARE ridiculous.

I have yet to find any good stable working OpenGL driver for any GPU in Linux.

Will you tell me which one truly WORKS? Which one is bug free, supports all features, doesn't crash occasionally, is fast enough, etc?

Ah, you want the pixie dust driver. Im told its going to be made available when uvdx specs are opened.

Comment

Will you tell me which one truly WORKS? Which one is bug free, supports all features, doesn't crash occasionally, is fast enough, etc?
        I have been using the open source drivers for my HD 3870 for about three years now. I have never experienced a crash on the stable versions, and only a single time on the git versions (this bug specifically).

It's not fast enough for heavy 3D games though. But surely fast enough for 2D rendering.

Comment

No, your a dick.

Mozilla is releasing a 2D fast rendering engine under a open source license in order to improve the performance and usability of their popular open source browser.

What do you do?

Cuss them out.

You contribute nothing of value and you're bitching at people who want nothing more then to give you the best performing free software that they can.

Why?

Because you are too lazy and/or too cheap to go out and make Linux work properly.

Then you have not looked.

All my video cards work properly and give decent performance and are running open source drivers.

Why the hell should I help YOU out? So far you have been nothing except being a unreasonable jerk.
          Last edited by drag; 26 July 2011, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            I have this feeling that they have been focusing primarily on Windows for quite a long time now.
            My thoughts exactly. Ah well, using Chrome primarily, Firefox is almost only used for Quake Live anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
              Why the hell should I help YOU out? So far you have been nothing except being a unreasonable jerk.
              So true, I don't know what's wrong with him, my GeForce 9600gt doesn't cause me any troubles, it's fast, no problems playing full screen 720p/1080p youtube flash video (which uses vdpau), all games work, haven't noticed a bug.

Comment

My Linux graphics drivers work flawlessly on the desktop

I have an AMD/ATI R710 GPU, which was very cheap indeed. The radeon r600g Gallium3D driver runs my coposited KDE4 desktop just fine, using either the Xrender or the OpenGL backends for kwin. The desktop rendering runs at 60Hz, and it is only this speed because it is frame-locked to the monitor refresh rate.

In other words, for desktop applications such as Mozilla's Firefox browser, I can tell you that the free Radeon drivers (using KMS) called "radeon" (xf86-video-ati) from X.org truly WORKS, is bug free, supports all features (in the context of Firefox running under KDE4), doesn't crash occasionally and is fast enough.

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by runeks View Post
                  I have been using the open source drivers for my HD 3870 for about three years now. I have never experienced a crash on the stable versions, and only a single time on the git versions (this bug specifically).

It's not fast enough for heavy 3D games though. But surely fast enough for 2D rendering.
                  Don't forget to mention that Firefox running on a desktop, using either Azure or Cairo, is perfectly within the scope of open source GPU drivers capabilities.

WebGL has been a bit problematic, it doesn't work in Firefox 4 or 5 with open source graphics drivers, which has really been more of a problem of Firefox than of the open source drivers. The issues are fixed now, and even WebGL (which uses OpenGL 3D functions) should be fine for Firefox 6 or later.

Firefox 6 is due for formal release on August 16th. You can run it now in beta.
                  Last edited by hal2k1; 27 July 2011, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    I think it says what we all knew already.
                    Hopefully they at least enable the nvidia blobs by default since they're good enough.
                    The open source Gallium3D drivers have also been enabled by default.

There was one bug stopping WebGL for open source Gallium3D drivers:

This FIREFOX BUG has been marked as "RESOLVED FIXED". The "un-blacklist Gallium3D" change landed on Mozilla central a month ago on Mon Jun 27 :

I'm not sure if this "un-blacklist Gallium3D" change made it to Firefox 6 or not, there was still some doubt about it in May:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It will however certainly be available in Firefox 7, which will in turn be the first build to include Azure. This build will work with open source Gallium3D drivers, you won't need to run any binary blobs.

Comment

I really don't get what the fuss is about. Web browsers don't need to be super crazy fast. Mosaic worked fine on a 486 for web browsing. Are people trying to suggest that their brains are getting faster? Because I can assure everyone that this is not the case.

Total fluff, make work projects to pretend that something is being accomplished. They're just stacking the dependencies and bloating out.

Most of my hardware will be happy to handle these advanced pointless dependencies, but the F***ING ATOM/POULSBO won't. EVER. Guess its a good thing they aren't dropping cairo.... yet. They surely will eventually though, and that will be the death of that hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X