GNOME & KDE Developers Go To Battle Over A Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Just curious, what are the use cases where you need both installed (switching between Gnome and KDE ?) and is there a use case where you want the System Settings from one DE visible and useable in the other ?
    Any Multiuser setup is a use case for having both KDE and Gnome installed with their settings, alongside any number of other DEs and WMs, from a family box that serves multiple members in a household to terminal servers and multiseat boxes

For single user use case there's always the developer who wants to see how his program runs in various environments

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
      +1
      i find the name "System Settings" for DE config misleading and maliciously idiotic. unless it does real system-wide configuration it has no business be named like that.
      they should call both as "<DE> bells-and-whistles configuration tool", the assholes.
      since you can do system wide settings from system settings:

you are wrong.

Comment

I think they should both be renamed

to KDE System Settings and Gnome System Settings. That even lets me know ahead of time that the settings I'm opening up were created by my desktop environment, and aren't some set of tools the distribution added in.

Comment

We already have 5 pages of posts here?

Can I ask why you duplicated an internal developer discussion and started a mini flame war to boot, Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            LOL! Hilarious! The childishness of the KDE developers never ceases to amaze me. 'Activities' revisited (another word they claimed a stake on).
            It's gnome childishness troll.

Comment

Formal complaint concerning the use of the word &quot;childishness&quot; by kraftman

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              It's gnome childishness troll.
              kraftman,

As I occupied the word 'childishness' first in this thread, it is mine as a result, and I will
              NOT be relinquishing it to satisfy your personal (selfish) desires. I request that you immediately
              edit your post and rename it to something else.

Comment

Patents are everything

Does KDE have a patent on it? Then the hell with them (a joke really but with a sad truth in it).

On the long term I guess Gnome will try to replace their childish name with KDE and this is only the first step . Ubuntu should do the same - rename into something like "Canonical? Linux Windows"

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
                  We already have 5 pages of posts here?

Can I ask why you duplicated an internal developer discussion and started a mini flame war to boot, Michael?
                  You must be new here.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    kraftman,

As I occupied the word 'childishness' first in this thread, it is mine as a result, and I will
                    NOT be relinquishing it to satisfy your personal (selfish) desires. I request that you immediately
                    edit your post and rename it to something else.

He named it "gnome childishness", with a prefix. Since it is in its own namespace, there is no collision. You should rename your childishness to "kde childishness" as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Just curious, what are the use cases where you need both installed (switching between Gnome and KDE ?) and is there a use case where you want the System Settings from one DE visible and useable in the other ? Is this just a package name collision (in which case presumably a DE prefix would fix the problem) or is the technical issue a requirement to have cross-DE useability ?
                      Do you really need someone to explain how idiotic it is to have two programs that are named the same being placed in /usr/bin?

Comment

Working...
                      X