X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Um... no. I'm asking why the obvious solution (prefixing the System Settings programs with the DE name to avoid collisions) doesn't work. What I don't know, however, is (a) if there is a need to run KDE System Settings under Gnome and vice versa (haven't heard one yet) and (b) if not, if there is a mechanism to allow a binary named <DE> System Settings to appear as System Settings in menus etc...
    Multi-user systems may have KDE, Gnome, FVWM, and Blackbox installed. If any of their individual utilities conflict there is a problem.

Even the most ardent developer should realize that his particular monoculture is not the only one available.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    No, and if I had time I would consider being offended that you asked

My questions were related to understanding why the obvious solution (adding a DE-based prefix to package and binary names) wouldn't work. What I *do* need someone to explain is :

1. Whether there is a need to have both System Setting programs available side-by-side to the same user in the same DE instance (haven't heard one yet), ie whether there is a need to be able to run KDE System Settings under Gnome and vice versa. It seems unlikely.

2. If the answer to Q1 is "no", then the next question is whether there is a mechanism to allow a program named "<DE> System Settings" to appear as "System Settings" in menus.

If the answer to Q2 is "yes", then I don't understand the debate at all. If the answer to Q2 is "no", ie if KDE users would now have to choose "KDE System Settings" rather than "System Settings" then I understand why there might be a bit of reluctance to make the change.
    Last edited by bridgman; 07-24-2011, 10:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Just curious, what are the use cases where you need both installed (switching between Gnome and KDE ?) and is there a use case where you want the System Settings from one DE visible and useable in the other ? Is this just a package name collision (in which case presumably a DE prefix would fix the problem) or is the technical issue a requirement to have cross-DE useability ?
    Do you really need someone to explain how idiotic it is to have two programs that are named the same being placed in /usr/bin?

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    kraftman,

As I occupied the word 'childishness' first in this thread, it is mine as a result, and I will
    NOT be relinquishing it to satisfy your personal (selfish) desires. I request that you immediately
    edit your post and rename it to something else.

He named it "gnome childishness", with a prefix. Since it is in its own namespace, there is no collision. You should rename your childishness to "kde childishness" as a result.

Leave a comment:

• locovaca
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
    We already have 5 pages of posts here?

Can I ask why you duplicated an internal developer discussion and started a mini flame war to boot, Michael?
    You must be new here.

Leave a comment:

• roentgen
    replied
    Patents are everything

Does KDE have a patent on it? Then the hell with them (a joke really but with a sad truth in it).

On the long term I guess Gnome will try to replace their childish name with KDE and this is only the first step . Ubuntu should do the same - rename into something like "Canonical? Linux Windows"

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Formal complaint concerning the use of the word &quot;childishness&quot; by kraftman

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    It's gnome childishness troll.
    kraftman,

As I occupied the word 'childishness' first in this thread, it is mine as a result, and I will
    NOT be relinquishing it to satisfy your personal (selfish) desires. I request that you immediately
    edit your post and rename it to something else.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    LOL! Hilarious! The childishness of the KDE developers never ceases to amaze me. 'Activities' revisited (another word they claimed a stake on).
    It's gnome childishness troll.

Leave a comment:

• Cyborg16
    replied
    We already have 5 pages of posts here?

Can I ask why you duplicated an internal developer discussion and started a mini flame war to boot, Michael?

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    I think they should both be renamed

to KDE System Settings and Gnome System Settings. That even lets me know ahead of time that the settings I'm opening up were created by my desktop environment, and aren't some set of tools the distribution added in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X