KDE SC 4.7 Release Candidate Hits The Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    still plenty of work to do before we can declare KDE 4 stable and mature.
    Duke Nukem Forever actually got released

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Now that KDE developers have run out of "new great features" to add, maybe they'll start thinking about overall KDE optimization (KDE4 RAM consumption is just insane) and bug fixing?
      How about 300MB in 64bit Arch Linux? Is that insane? In Kubuntu 11.04 it's much worse, because there are dozens instances of the same service (akonadi or something) running for some strange reason. Btw. KDE 4.6 is very smooth in the current Arch.
      Last edited by kraftman; 25 June 2011, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Now that KDE developers have run out of "new great features" to add, maybe they'll start thinking about overall KDE optimization (KDE4 RAM consumption is just insane) and bug fixing?
        Why RAM consumption matters? Do you care too if an app uses too many CPU registers?
        If it has an evident impact on performance, then I agree with you, but then why call the problem "high RAM consumption" and not "bad performance"?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Duke Nukem Forever actually got released
          hahaha when pigs fly

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Btw. KDE 4.6 is very smooth in the current Arch.
            Boy, that's the total opposite of my experience. I started using Arch with KDE with version 4.5 and by the time it got to 4.6.3 the bugs were so many I couldn't properly use my system anymore without loosing some time after boot putting everything "alright" again. Not to mention that I'm constantly switching between my laptop's internal screen and an external monitor and that causes huge amounts of failures on KDE due to its pathetic multi-monitor support. Seriously, they should start listening to their users more (by ways of the bugtracker's wishlists and bug reports) and stop making up new K3wl features :P

Comment

KDE4 basic desktop with no applications/no plasmoids running consumes on average up to 500MB of RAM.

If you don't believe me, run the following experiment:

1) log off from your KDE session
              2) switch to a text console, login as root, run `echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches`, then `free`. Remember how much RAM is actually free.
              3) switch back to you graphical login manager, log in as a user, wait for KDE session to complete loading.
              4) switch back to the text console and run `free` again.

Now you can compute how much RAM your KDE session really eats. And that number will astonish you, I promise

Comment

RAM consumption does matter. The more program data you have in your RAM, the less RAM is available for file system cache. If you your file system cache is being constantly depleted, your application will take a lot of time to start, the kernel may even swap out less used applications and whenever you switch to them, the kernel will have to spin up your HDD to read back swapped out data.

Besides, you know, KDE is not the only application users run. Some people even want to run a web browser, eclipse, and other heavy applications.

Of course, given that most modern PCs come with no less than 2GB of RAM, this issue becomes less and less relevant. But that doesn't mean that KDE session should employ a MySQL server instance eating up to 300MB of RAM for storing user data. SQLite can do that perfectly having 50 times lesser RAM footprint.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  How about 300MB in 64bit Arch Linux? Is that insane? In Kubuntu 11.04 it's much worse, because there are dozens instances of the same service (akonadi or something) running for some strange reason. Btw. KDE 4.6 is very smooth in the current Arch.
                  A dozen instances of the same process won't eat that much RAM since all of the code and library and read-only data segments are shared. Take a look at /proc/<PID>/smaps for one of those and see how memory is actually private and resident in memory.

Comment

I'm always quite baffled by the reception of new KDE releases. I haven't seen any major bugs in KDE since the release of KDE SC 4.4 and I have used every beta release after that. This round the only bug that I can remember was one that caused Kwin to hangup on startup for 10-30s. There wasn't much last time either. Makes me wonder have the people who comment these announcements actually even tried resent KDE releases or do they just suffer from bad packaging - atleast Arch and Chakra Linux seem to do fine. The "high" RAM usage is also questionable, I had no problem what-so-ever with 5 year old laptop that had 1GB of ram (seriosly smartphones have that much nowadays) and I have seen KDE use as little as 180MB of RAM (it simply scales depending on how much free RAM you have).

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                      While KDE 4 has come a long way since 4.0 (which was a bug ridden pile of garbage), it indeed still feels buggy compared to KDE 3.5.10.

I should say that after KDE 4.7 it should be time for optimization and bug fixing. For the most part the infrastructure is more stable than ever still plenty of work to do before we can declare KDE 4 stable and mature.
                      And when KDE4 is finally as stable and mature as 3.5 was the devs *must* scrap it all and go back to the drawing board again for KDE5 just because...

Comment

Working...
                      X