No announcement yet.

GLSL IR To TGSI Translator Ready To Be Merged Into Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(For anyone not aware, I am the developer of the GLSL IR to TGSI translator.)

Originally posted by not.sure
    Woah. That guy actually delivered? Someone hire him.
    Originally posted by ?John?
    OK, that's it - the man gets a gold star!
    Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    Yay, kudos to the guy! These ventures are usually "Hey guys, I've just started programming and I'm going to make a Vi clone, it's going to be rad, excellent and have lots of great features! I haven't written any code yet, but I'm about to start. It's going to be great!". But it seems like this guy delivered!

Code reviews are always great (that's one of the things that FOSS is about, right?) so it's going to be interesting to see what happens when the maintainers have a look at it.
    The developer feedback has already started, actually.

As a side note, contrary to what the article says, it will hopefully be merged to Mesa master before the merge window closes at the end of next week, i.e. it should make it into Mesa 7.11.

Hey OpenGL3.0 would be so sweet. It's definitely about time!
    Agreed.

Originally posted by RealNC
    Benchmark or didn't happen
    There might be some performance gains, but if you're expecting a groundbreaking difference, you'll be disappointed. Converting from Mesa->TGSI had no penalty at all because they use almost the exact same opcodes and conventions, and converting from GLSL->TGSI has many of the same lost optimization opportunities as GLSL->Mesa IR did.

But once I finish incorporating the developer feedback to get it merged, I'm planning to work on improving the code generation for the things that ir_to_mesa didn't handle well.

Comment

Great job, man!

Next up:
      Playing Duke Nukem Forever through Wine on Gallium 3D with ATI cards onn Hurd with Gnome 3 on Wayland, while listening to Dr. Dre's Detox album in 2012 (year of Linux desktop).

The future is upon us and the world still hasn't ended, lol xD

Comment

I know about gl3.txt

but are not there any legal blockers? and are all of them a target for someone?
        As a side note, contrary to what the article says, it will hopefully be merged to Mesa master before the merge window closes at the end of next week, i.e. it should make it into Mesa 7.11.
        That is very good news indeed. New GLSL compiler, new translator. Question is what is not __new__?

Ohh, small question how did you tested Your code?
        Last edited by przemoli; 16 June 2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          ?
          AIUI the only patented parts of GL3 have been dealt with:

But considering that any non-trivial codebase probably infringes on some or other patent out there other patents might pop up, but I would guess that they would be dealt with in the same way, or as with S3TC stuff by an external library.

Comment

Stop whining about patents already! If you are worried about patents you might as well stop coding period.

Hell, you may even want to consider to stop breathing, as there's no doubt someone has already patented a "method and apparatus for extracting oxygen from the atmosphere and transporting it into the bloodstream".

Comment

I was looking up interesting patents (unrelated to graphics) a few weeks ago for an internal presentation and happened to find the patent you are talking about :

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                I was looking up interesting patents
                You're a masochist, you!

Comment

No, there are no legal issues here.

Ohh, small question how did you tested Your code?
                  I used the Piglit test suite to test for regressions. Plus, in the 2 months or so I've been developing this, I've been using my custom Mesa build with the GLSL->TGSI translator every time I play an OpenGL game on my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
                    Plus, in the 2 months or so I've been developing this, I've been using my custom Mesa build with the GLSL->TGSI translator every time I play an OpenGL game on my computer.
                    It would be good to take a few random shaders those games use and compare the TGSI generated by both. I remember originally you said the new code was not quite as good as the old, but close. Has that been completely fixed, or is it possible some shaders could have regressed?

Also, do you know if there has been any improvement in the compile time of shaders? I'm guessing that's all spent inside the actual GLSL compiler and not the translation code.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      It would be good to take a few random shaders those games use and compare the TGSI generated by both. I remember originally you said the new code was not quite as good as the old, but close. Has that been completely fixed, or is it possible some shaders could have regressed?
                      There is shader-db for this (but I think it currently require an intel card for it): http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/007694.html

Comment

Working...
                      X