Is Fedora 15 Faster Than Ubuntu 11.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fedora 15 & 14 with a hvr2200 can display two windows of tv hd with vlc
    ubuntu 11 did one tv and was not able to open a second . after that first time vlc was not able to display even 1 tv .
    from the original install of both os , i copied the file NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw in the lib folder and created an options file in the etc/modprobe.d folder with options saa7164 card=4 in it .
    long ago , ubuntu 9 was perfect with an hvr1100 out of the box with tvtime

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Yes, defaults. Can do some SELinux benchmarks separately if there's interest.
      It will be great.

Comment

The conclusion is [REDACTED]. (just kidding)

If you read carefully, the conclusion is on the last page...at the very top, even.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
          As far as the disk performance discrepancy goes - did you test with SELinux enabled or disabled, on Fedora?

edit: you say 'out of the box', so I assume 'enabled'; it might be interesting to try with it disabled. Also it'd be interesting to know if you kept the OS default partitioning scheme (in which case the Fedora install would likely have an LVM layer the Ubuntu one would not.)
          Good points. It would be interesting to see how much SELinux and LVM affect performance.

Comment

Yes, defaults. Can do some SELinux benchmarks separately if there's interest.
            That would be nice. Maybe include AppArmor in those tests as well, although that doesn't use special filesystem labels, but it should decrease application performance as well.

Comment

Michael,

One severe short coming of this test is that it used only CPUs from intel. There are architectural differences between intel and AMD cpus that could effect performance and power consumption differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Obscene_CNN View Post
                Michael,

One severe short coming of this test is that it used only CPUs from intel. There are architectural differences between intel and AMD cpus that could effect performance and power consumption differently.
                Right, but blame AMD for not sending out CPUs to Phoronix...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Right, but blame AMD for not sending out CPUs to Phoronix...
                  But as these tests were done with laptops its not like you swap out the CPUs in them anyway. I don't think intel sends you whole laptops do they?

Comment

Originally posted by Obscene_CNN View Post
                    But as these tests were done with laptops its not like you swap out the CPUs in them anyway. I don't think intel sends you whole laptops do they?
                    I just got a Sandy Bridge laptop from Intel last week as a Software Development Platform to use for driver testing...
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It doesn't matter if Ubuntu 11.04 is faster, Fedora 15 is just better and the Shell goes a long way to do prove that.

Comment

Working...
                      X