Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Underlying KWin Improvements In KDE 4.7

Phoronix: The Underlying KWin Improvements In KDE 4.7

Now that the first KDE SC 4.7 beta is available, Martin Gr??lin, the lead developer of the KWin, has blogged about some of the underlying improvements made to the compositing window manager for KDE during this development cycle. Of course, most Phoronix graphics junkies will already know what's changed based upon previous articles, but here's an overview for those not caught up to speed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For anyone still (unfortunately) living in an OpenGL 1.x world, the OpenGL 2 / GLSL shaders can be disabled until you buy new hardware.
    For anyone wishing to use nouveau on OpenGL 2 capable hardware.

Comment

Awesome improvements! KDE 4.7 bundled with Qt 4.8 should give a very nice performance boost over the current offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
        For anyone wishing to use nouveau on OpenGL 2 capable hardware.
        Don't troll please!

"OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
        OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NV86
        OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11-devel (git-462d405)
        OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
        "

All Linux games run fine here, and even Unegine demos run (with glitches though)

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
          Don't troll please!
          Don't make false judgements please!

Returning to the topic, my nouveau on Fedora 15 advertises only OpenGL 1.3 for NV9x hardware.

Comment

Why is a flag necessary to turn of compositing?

I'm confused why the window manager can't do this automatically if there's a top-level full-screen window at the top of the window stack, and automatically turn compositing back on whenever that condition ends (so volume control overlays and stuff still work without glitches/flickering even when a full-screen GL app is running).

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              Why is a flag necessary to turn of compositing?

I'm confused why the window manager can't do this automatically if there's a top-level full-screen window at the top of the window stack, and automatically turn compositing back on whenever that condition ends (so volume control overlays and stuff still work without glitches/flickering even when a full-screen GL app is running).
              Exactly my thoughts... Is it so difficult to detect fullscreen programs automatically?

Comment

X11 doesn't really have fullscreen windows, they have to be faked.

Comment

What i don't understand is WHY there is a need to turn off compositing for fullscreen apps. It sounds like a terrible hack. If all running apps can draw their contents to pixmaps, and the compositor can arrange them all on the screen, what difference should it make if one happens to be really big? I don't see why there is such 'overhead'.

Is this simply a limitation of the current implementation or a real logical issue?

Comment

It just removes a level of indirection and can free up resources that aren't used in case where a fullscreen application is running (remember when compositing that other apps will be rendering themselves to pixmaps - you can get rid of those if you turn compositing off).

This can be helpful if latency is important to the application or the application pushes the hardware to it's limits.
                    Last edited by kayosiii; 29 May 2011, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X