Miguel de Icaza Starts New Company To Drive Mono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by urfe View Post
    In the world of open source and free choice... manners die?
    the manners of the ximian-gang at novell? Who tried everything to kill KDE in Suse products the moment Novell bought SuSE?

The less those people have to say anywhere, the better. They turned SuSE into a RHEL clone just to satisfy their egos. Luckily the opensuse community resisted and fought back when Miguel's posse tried to force gnome as default/only desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      the manners of the ximian-gang at novell? Who tried everything to kill KDE in Suse products the moment Novell bought SuSE?
      Citation needed.

Comment

Update: Citation Provided.

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Citation needed.
        Motor writes "In what must be one of the least unexpected announcements of recent times, Novell says that they are standardizing on one desktop rather than supporting two different codebases. From the article: 'Novell is making one large strategic change. The GNOME interface is going to become the d...

Comment

"[...] The GNOME interface is going to become the default interface on both the SLES (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server) and Novell Linux Desktop line. KDE libraries will be supplied on both [...]"

"Killing" would involve dropping all support for KDE. What Novell did was a far cry from that, except in the most callous of minds.

Comment

in a product like SLES changing the default is like killing.

There was no need, no reason. The ximian gang just wanted it.

I hope this idiocy is going to be reversed now that they got rid of them.

Comment

Okay, after further digging, it sounds like Apple quietly backed off of the restrictions I was thinking of. When I last heard about it in any detail, they were saying that you were just flat-out not allowed to run any native code that was not originally compiled from C, C++, or Objective-C (meaning that you weren't allowed to do ahead-of-time compilation of other languages, even if it was to one of those languages), and script/bytecode had to be interpreted and not updatable except through updating the app as a whole. Apparently, even Flash apps can be built as iOS apps now; Apple seemingly just doesn't want users running something that allows getting apps somewhere other than the App Store or allows developers to write iOS apps without a Mac involved somewhere.

Comment

Every time I see people discussing how Microsoft isn't that bad, and it won't use its technology to destroy others in a conspiracy theory-like manner, because that's just a silly thing to believe, I just post one particular URL:

And everyone shuts up. So, please, keep M$ shit away from Linux. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by urfe View Post
                  My choice is for suse to concentrate their limited resources on things that are beneficial to me and things that I perceive are more beneficial to the community than Mono. Maybe I should have quoted the post I was resonding to.

For all those who seriously thought my last post was an ill-mannered, bigoted, emotional response, I have a real one for you: go fuck yourselves!

Comment

Oh, and Miguel de Icaza is hardly the diplomat himself (linuxhater). I don't know about you, but I think it's far worse to be an anonymous coward to cover up your true feelings than to be a bit ill-mannered.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      My choice is for suse to concentrate their limited resources on things that are beneficial to me and things that I perceive are more beneficial to the community than Mono.
                      SUSE should concentrate their resources on things that are beneficial to you?

That's some ego you've got their. Hint, SUSE is owned by a for-profit corporation which doesn't really give a damn on anything other than their stock value and (hence) their paying customers. If their customers demand Mono, then Mono it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X