Miguel de Icaza Starts New Company To Drive Mono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh so there was a plan B.

In my opinion it would be best for Mono and those who are relying on their tech if Microsoft was indeed behind the financial backing. Not only because there's less chance of any patent problems concerning the parts outside of the community promise, but perhaps more importantly that if Microsoft is behind this then it is as a way to provide C#/NET cross platform availability and not to make money. On the other hand if this is funded by venture capital, Mono will need to generate profits sooner or later and this seems to have been something they haven't been able to do so far.

Again, great for those relying on Mono tech.

Comment

Nice, the madness will never end

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        OTOH the KDE variant of openSUSE doesn't even ship with any Mono applications and since Plasma Desktop is default in openSUSE, Novell's own distribution didn't even install Mono by default.
        Sigh, SLE is Novells distribution, not openSUSE which is a community driven project. Novell is however a sponsor of openSUSE as are AMD, B1, and IP Exchange. The reason openSUSE went to KDE as their default desktop was that it was what the community wanted, not Novell or any other sponsor of openSUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
          .NET and Moonlight for iOS? Did Apple change their stance toward "foreign" development frameworks and bytecode compilers/interpreters when I wasn't looking? I heard they relaxed the restrictions on scripting and bytecode interpreters somewhat (since many games use embedded script and/or bytecode of some sort), but it didn't sound like it would allow a full-blown runtime.
          The code is written in C# but it is then compiled into whatever iOS or Android can work with instead of being .net bytecode.

Comment

Well I guess its not a bad thing.. But there sure are a lot of man-hours and a lot of effort going into the Mono project.

As an application developer I have never been excited about Mono. On *nix I use C C++ java or maybe a scripting language. On Android I use java. On Winders, yeah I will opt to use C# .Net.

Besides, we have the Wine project.

If I had an existing C# .Net application that needed to be ported to *nix, I would probably look at Mono. And I guess its nice to know that we can run Silverlight content on our Linux PCs using Moonlight (although I have so far never needed to, and I don't plan to use it).

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
              .NET and Moonlight for iOS? Did Apple change their stance toward "foreign" development frameworks and bytecode compilers/interpreters when I wasn't looking?
              Mono has several really nice features that official .NET does not. One of these is the ability to do "ahead of time" compilation to native machine code, like a C/C++ compiler does.

Comment

I'm not a mono fan myself but that's mainly because it's such a resource hog. Hopefully they'll improve it to a point where it can really compete with Java and Qt.

Comment

skype can now be rewritten in mono yay!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Yeah, I hope SuSE concentrates on being a tightly integrated KDE solution that sponsors open-source development in key areas. Fsck all the Microsoft and de Icaza BS.
                    In the world of open source and free choice... manners die?

Comment

Originally posted by urfe View Post
                      In the world of open source and free choice... manners die?
                      No. Just in the world of bigotry and emotional responses to technology.

Comment

Working...
                      X