Miguel de Icaza Starts New Company To Drive Mono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    SUSE should concentrate their resources on things that are beneficial to you?
    It would be nice..

That's some ego you've got their(sic)
    To voice my opinion? That's nothing compared to the shrine of myself I have set up in the bedroom.

Hint, SUSE is owned by a for-profit corporation which doesn't really give a damn on anything other than their stock value and (hence) their paying customers. If their customers demand Mono, then Mono it is.
    Given the community-driven aspect of Linux, I don't think the interests of the money-grubbers and freetards are mutually exclusive in this case.

Comment

If their customers demand Mono, then Mono it is.
      Do you have anything that shows Suse customers actually wanting Mono? Novell was in deep financial trouble, their Mono investment wasn't making them any money nor increasing their customer base as far as I can see. They were temporarily saved by Microsoft with the $348 million purchase of SLES subscriptions, in a deal that pretty much made Novell the 'Microsoft sanctioned' Linux company with the patent protection agreement only covering Novell's distributions (an obvious divide and conquer attempt by Microsoft). Seeing that Attachmate disbanded the Mono development so shortly after purchase tells me Mono was anything but profitable.

Whatever happens with this new Mono venture, atleast we will know if it is a self-sustainable business (unless it is Microsoft sponsored). I hope it is given the passion with which Miguel and his coworkers are putting in to this development platform.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
        Do you have anything that shows Suse customers actually wanting Mono?
        Check the monodev list and their bugtracker. There are many customers writing web applications on Mono/SUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          To voice my opinion?
          Voicing an opinion: "I don't believe Mono is useful".

Being obnoxious: "So Novell/Xamarin should obey my wishes and drop it".

Given the community-driven aspect of Linux, I don't think the interests of the money-grubbers and freetards are mutually exclusive in this case.
          Indeed, they probably aren't. Most are indifferent to Mono one way or another. Some find it useful, a few find it useful enough to pay for and a vocal minority just searches for something to bitch about.

Comment

They used to be, but people like you have long surpassed them. Microsoft doesn't even need to lift a finger. You are harming the community far more efficiently than they ever could, like an autoimmune disease working from the inside.
            The same Open Source "evangelists" hear from MS, Icaza and some other M$ fanboys. I'm not impressed I heard exactly the same from you. You're FUDing.

Comment

"[...] The GNOME interface is going to become the default interface on both the SLES (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server) and Novell Linux Desktop line. KDE libraries will be supplied on both [...]"

"Killing" would involve dropping all support for KDE. What Novell did was a far cry from that, except in the most callous of minds.
              You're just making yourself a fool. There wasn't a SINGLE advantage in gnome to be chosen over KDE. You should educate yourself more on the topic.

Comment

Citation needed.

Comment

Check the monodev list and their bugtracker. There are many customers writing web applications on Mono/SUSE.
                  Maybe they were doing this, because it was actually available, but maybe they didn't want Novell to give them mono?

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    You're just making yourself a fool. There wasn't a SINGLE advantage in gnome to be chosen over KDE. You should educate yourself more on the topic.
                    I love you, too.

KDE sucks anyway.

Citation needed.
                    Already given.

In case you are too lazy to read what you quoted, just search the monodev mailing list for "suse" on your favorite search engine.

Maybe they were doing this, because it was actually available, but maybe they didn't want Novell to give them mono?
                    Ok, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. People wanted Mono but they didn't want it from Novell? People didn't want Mono but used it anyway? Please rephrase.

Comment

I love you, too.

KDE sucks anyway.
                      How lovely. Didn't you know gnome sucks more? ;>

Already given.

In case you are too lazy to read what you quoted, just search the monodev mailing list for "suse" on your favorite search engine.
                      There's no proof.

Ok, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. People wanted Mono but they didn't want it from Novell? People didn't want Mono but used it anyway? Please rephrase.
                      You said:

"If their customers demand Mono, then Mono it is."

You didn't show people demanded mono. Even if people are using it, it doesn't mean they wanted someone to make it. I didn't demand Qt, but here it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X