Miguel de Icaza Starts New Company To Drive Mono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    No. Just in the world of bigotry and emotional responses to technology.
    Heh, -'emotional responses to technology', coming from you I can't help finding that hilarious given your comments on OpenGL.

Anyway, for Linux users to have knee-jerk reactions to Microsoft 'tainted' stuff is quite understandable in my opinion. Microsoft has made no secrets of wanting to kill off Linux, and has put it in practice with numerous FUD campaigns not to mention what was most likely partly funding of the whole SCO debacle.

That said, as long as you stick to the parts that are covered by the 'community promise' there should be nothing to worry about, it's just another language/runtime solution in the foss arsenal.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      I'm not "FUDding" [...] the alleged angel funding could be linked directly or indirectly to MS, just like it happened in the past when MS (or pretty much any other corporation), had a vested interest into doing stuff that it doesn't want to be directly held accountable or any strings attached whatsoever.
      So you don't know the facts, yet spread negative rumours. That's the very definition of Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      So because Microsoft is sponsoring some free project it has to be positive?
      Personally, I doubt that Microsoft is involved in this at all. However, it would be positive if Microsoft was involved - in the same sense that it would be positive if Microsoft sponsored kernel development, the FSF or any other initiative focused on Free software.

The US government has sponsored many NGOs operating in other countries. These NGOs helped to stage revolutions and overthrow the governments in these countries. Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on your perspective, though somehow I think the US would not appreciate it if a foreign entity would be sponsoring a revolution in the US.

Bottom line is the US government sponsored these NGOs not because it cares about human rights etcetera but for the sole purpose to accomplish regime change.
      Did you just draw a parallel between Microsoft/Linux and the US/terrorist groups around the world? I hope you realize how stupid that sounds.

And so it would be foolish to think Microsoft is sponsoring this project because for it's love for Linux or open source. Microsoft has its own agenda that often doesn't align very well with open source.
      That should be obvious, every corporation has it's own agenda: make money for its shareholders. This includes Red Hat, (the late) Novell, Google and the rest. If that happens to involve Linux along the way, the better for us. Microsoft is no exception.

In any case, this is more FUD. You don't know if Microsoft is involved, yet theorize that it is and use this supposed involvement to paint the new company in a bad light.

Comment

I really dont like Mono and wont use any program using it but definatly dont wish it any bad luck and all the best to them. Glad to see such a complicated code base will be maintained after all

Comment

So... Novell got rid of Mono and Ximian? And now Ximian is Xaramin and focusses no longer on Gnome?

Hell this is fan-tas-tic!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Are you FUDding that MS is sponsoring open-source development - and then trying to spin that in a negative way? (Imagine, MS funding a Free project - the horror!)

Miguel claimed Angel funding.
            Didn't you know ms even opened some "open source" portal a while ago? You still don't know not every open source project is "good"? The horror is there are people who think like you.

Btw. it seems traitor like Icaza wants to give a tribute to ximian by this new name.

Comment

So you don't know the facts, yet spread negative rumours. That's the very definition of Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.
              Go trolling with such talk somewhere else. MS should hire you. They're the best in FUD.

I suppose this "new" mono project will also die, because Icaza's an idiot. What he drives it dies. He should be simply kicked out from the Linux world or he just should sit at home and code. Not let him to say a word.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                .NET and Moonlight for iOS? Did Apple change their stance toward "foreign" development frameworks and bytecode compilers/interpreters when I wasn't looking? I heard they relaxed the restrictions on scripting and bytecode interpreters somewhat (since many games use embedded script and/or bytecode of some sort), but it didn't sound like it would allow a full-blown runtime.
                MonoTouch for iOS uses Cocoa as (GUI) toolkit ? not Gtk# or whatever ? and compiles C# source code into native ARM binaries via LLVM. They are neither executed within a VM nor are any non-Apple GUI frameworks involved.
                As for Moonlight: Foreign GUI frameworks are allowed as well as long as no VM in run. Compiling Silverlight source codes into native iOS applications via Moonlight for iOS on a desktop PC first is no problem.

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Sigh, SLE is Novells distribution, not openSUSE which is a community driven project. Novell is however a sponsor of openSUSE as are AMD, B1, and IP Exchange. The reason openSUSE went to KDE as their default desktop was that it was what the community wanted, not Novell or any other sponsor of openSUSE.
                As long as there is no independent openSUSE Foundation and all SUSE trademarks are held by Novell/Attachmate, openSUSE is a distribution by Novell (just as Fedora is a Red Hat product).

Comment

Personally, I doubt that Microsoft is involved in this at all. However, it would be positive if Microsoft was involved - in the same sense that it would be positive if Microsoft sponsored kernel development, the FSF or any other initiative focused on Free software.
                  This depends.

If they donated money to the FSF, it would be fantastic.

If they donated C# code to the linux kernel and attempted to make Linux dependent on their patented technology, then it would be a bloody travesty that should be avoided at all cost.

Mono is closer to the latter. Luckily, GNOME does not depend on it much, but if Ubuntu ever got threatened by a patent lawsuit because GNOME depended on MS technology, this would be terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    This depends.

If they donated money to the FSF, it would be fantastic.

If they donated C# code to the linux kernel and attempted to make Linux dependent on their patented technology, then it would be a bloody travesty that should be avoided at all cost.
                    That's not going to happen and you know it. The kernel is written in C.

What if Microsoft contributed C code to the kernel - would that be evil, too? (Because they've already done that, and despite misgivings on the quality of the code, the community finally accepted the patches and they now are in the kernel).

The crux of the matter is that *if* Microsoft started to fund open-source projects, they'd be basically admitting defeat. This is why I don't believe Microsoft will be funding Mono (at least in the near future) - but I would be pleasantly surprised if they did.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      Go trolling with such talk somewhere else. MS should hire you. They're the best in FUD.
                      They used to be, but people like you have long surpassed them. Microsoft doesn't even need to lift a finger. You are harming the community far more efficiently than they ever could, like an autoimmune disease working from the inside.

Comment

Working...
                      X