No announcement yet.

Microsoft Is Buying Out Skype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shit, this is the second time this week I like MS for something.

(The first was what Linus said about Win on ARM: it will force needed standardization, a win for linux).

Comment

Originally posted by dgrafenhofer View Post
      What about gtalk? Seems to be based on open standards + there are open source clients.
      Well, I forgot that they are using h.264 for video at the moment (not a problem in Europe anyways). But they are working on employing VP8 in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by accumulator View Post
        or the standard for telephony over the internet: SIP?

A bit of testing using a free account over at ekiga.net shows it works fine with audio+video. And there's no google lock-in (why oh why is the first thing mentioned in this thread a google service/protocol? I thought this was a linux/FOSS site )
        Because google talk, being based in XMPP, is based on FOSS techonology, that's why FOSS programs like Pigin and Empathy can do google voice and video chat! I don't see this as a lock in.

Comment

maybe we will get our own open MONO version of the skype client.

if so, is not so bad then!

but, this is uncertain, so am looking to switch to google voice in the mean time

Comment

Originally posted by matthewbpt View Post
            Because google talk, being based in XMPP, is based on FOSS techonology, that's why FOSS programs like Pigin and Empathy can do google voice and video chat! I don't see this as a lock in.
            Jingle is built on top of XMPP...

Are you sure of it? Last time Pidgin wasn't able to do video calls, it seems they added support but the protocol isn't really compatible with Google Talk.

Are you sure voice/video calls are possible with clients using the web-based or native client from Google?

Comment

Originally posted by matthewbpt View Post
              But can you download a standalone GTalk client and just chat/talk away with friends? It seems like you need a gmail account. That seems onerous.

I use skype to talk to people all over the world. Many of them use windows and some apple. I use Linux of course. I need something popular and easy to install to replace Skype, and I need it now (before MS cripples the Linux version of Skype).

I think this is a chance for Google to step up GTalk: make it available in android. Make it a simple download in all operating systems. Make it a plugin in chrome. Easy set up. Easy login.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                in my Point of view microsoft lose 8 000 000 000 dollar in this round.

google can build a similar system to skype for maybe 1000 000 dollar.
                I can build it for a hundred bucks or even free, but that's hardly the issue. The issue is marketing and getting people to use it. And that is something you can't do with a hundred or a thousand bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  google can build a similar system to skype for maybe 1000 000 dollar.
                  Google has that system already, see my post above. I tried video chat and it works beautifully, I do have some concerns though (again, see that post)

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                    Google has that system already, see my post above. I tried video chat and it works beautifully, I do have some concerns though (again, see that post)
                    what app combination have you tried??? (ie Gtalk to Pidgin or something else)?

also has anyone tried Android/Nexus S Gtalk to Pidgin/telepathy????

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                      Jingle is built on top of XMPP...

Are you sure of it? Last time Pidgin wasn't able to do video calls, it seems they added support but the protocol isn't really compatible with Google Talk.

Are you sure voice/video calls are possible with clients using the web-based or native client from Google?
                      Yes I am sure, I have done it millions of times, using pidgin, empathy, the web based plugin and the Nokia n900 telepathy based client. They all worked for voice and video.

Comment

Working...
                      X