KDE SC 4.6.2 Codename Is Dedicated To GNOME 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Once again KDE crew shows off to be the classier of the two desktop teams.
    Too bad the same can't be said of their users...

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      Too bad the same can't be said of their users...
      Not true. When KDE4 arrived gnome fanbois were bitching it all the time. Even some gnome developers were doing the same. Now, it's completely opposite and KDE folks wishes Gnome to succeed. This is just great example of different mentality in mentioned camps.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        Not true. When KDE4 arrived gnome fanbois were bitching it all the time. Even some gnome developers were doing the same. Now, it's completely opposite and KDE folks wishes Gnome to succeed. This is just great example of different mentality in mentioned camps.
        You have to be kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
          Seconded...

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Why should unpaid KWin developers fix a driver that's developed by full-time developers working for and paid by a giant corporation?
            You're not making sense.
            Let me refrase what I said earlier, as you clearly didn't understand:

I wish KDE developers would fix KWin's (notice that I said KWin and not radeon driver, as in "fix kwin", not "fix driver") bad performance on radeons. Don't tell me it's a problem in the drivers because every other 3D application I've tried runs as expected on my HD4200. And it's not a matter of compositing managers in general on KDE, because Compiz runs fluidly. It's also not a problem of drivers because it runs equally bad on both OSS radeon and FGLRX. Sure it's not a very powerful GPU, but even an old Athlon XP + Radeon 9500pro offers a better experience on the OSS drivers with compiz.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
              Oh, I meant KDE devs.

Comment

Talk is cheap...

Originally posted by devius View Post
                If only they would find the time to fix kmail... and ktimetracker, and improve KWin's compositing performance on radeons, and all the multi monitor shortcomings it has and... etc.
                As they say: "Talk is cheap". Please provide links to bug reports about all these problems you have. That's the first step to getting the bug fixed. If there is no bug report developers might not know about the bug or might not have enough information to be able to fix it. As for the Radeon, All my computers and laptops have various Radeons and I don't have any problem with KWin performance with them, using the Free drivers that is.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  I wish KDE developers would fix KWin's (notice that I said KWin and not radeon driver, as in "fix kwin", not "fix driver") bad performance on radeons. Don't tell me it's a problem in the drivers because every other 3D application I've tried runs as expected on my HD4200.
                  I think this gets back to the old "assume you can do whatever you want within the spec" vs. "make extra effort to avoid fallbacks" debate, which probably won't be resolved in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    LOL. I don't know many KDE devs, because frankly I don't really care about KDE, it's not my kind of desktop. So I can't say anything about the mentality of KDE devs in general. But there's one vocal KDE dev I've heard of, Aaron Seigo, and he's always bad-mouthing GNOME. Even when there was an issue between Canonical and GNOME not so long ago, and thus having nothing to do with KDE, he took opportunity to once again go on the attack on GNOME. Apparently this guy does have some followers within the KDE community and you're probably one of them.

So where does all this GNOME hate come from? I think this is all about envy. The major distros, i.e., Ubuntu and Fedora, have been shipping with GNOME as the default desktop for years now, and some people in the KDE community would not only like to see that changed, but think bad-mouthing the competition is an appropriate way to achieve that.

I think it's very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                      So where does all this GNOME hate come from? I think this is all about envy.
                      KDE users don't envy Gnome at all. They just find Gnome is unable to fill their needs. And there is more then likely some resentment for Gnome users constantly calling down KDE users in the past because of QT's old licensing practice.

Comment

Working...
                      X