Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch
    replied
    What would clients need in order to display an app like that (Besides an HTML5-capable browser)?

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    It has been way, way to long to read some quality GTK/GNOME bash, hijacking a related news from the first post on. BlackStar, where are you?
    I'm watching from the shadows.

First off, there'll prolly be some security sandboxing stuff, who knows how intrusive/scary/confusing and (un)intuitive that's gonna be, second, that's prolly gonna be used by javascript, hence forget about all performance related apps like HandBrake, third Gnome 3 came a lot later than first planned - same could happen with this project, forth it only sounds plausible but it's likely just a toy project, and last but not least, who knows how the apis will (have to) be changed to take into account all the stuff that changes when you go from the desktop into the browser. It feels a lot like Chrome OS - overhyped as something new & cool but really just a toy that Google failed to deliver and when people try it they (finally) realize there's hardly serious reasons for non-techies to use it on a daily basis. Just my 0.04$ (0.04 because of inflation).
    From the previous discussion on Phoronix, there's no sandboxing or anything. Everything is rendered on the server via vanilla GTK+ and then transferred to the HTML browser. In other words, this is equivalent to a VNC connection from inside the browser.

It's still better than KDE4, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Xipeos
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    that's prolly gonna be used by javascript, hence forget about all performance related apps like HandBrake
    GDK handles the drawing (and window events,...) of a GTK application. With broadway, the application will still run on the server, not in the client's browser. So don't "forget about performance related apps like HandBrake".

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    First off, there'll prolly be some security sandboxing stuff, who knows how intrusive/scary/confusing and (un)intuitive that's gonna be, second, that's prolly gonna be used by javascript, hence forget about all performance related apps like HandBrake, third Gnome 3 came a lot later than first planned - same could happen with this project, forth it only sounds plausible but it's likely just a toy project, and last but not least, who knows how the apis will (have to) be changed to take into account all the stuff that changes when you go from the desktop into the browser. It feels a lot like Chrome OS - overhyped as something new & cool but really just a toy that Google failed to deliver and when people try it they (finally) realize there's hardly serious reasons for non-techies to use it on a daily basis. Just my 0.04$ (0.04 because of inflation).

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    It has been way, way to long to read some quality GTK/GNOME bash, hijacking a related news from the first post on. BlackStar, where are you?

Leave a comment:

• Remco
    replied
    It's also kinda awesome for creating webapps with GTK. I wonder if a gtkglext-WebGL mapping is feasible. And if it's possible to push custom javascript to the clientside.

Leave a comment:

• drag
    replied
    One of the things that is not immediately obvious, and may not be supported (I am just guessing here) is that it will allow for disconnection and reconnection.

That is if your playing your music through something like totem or whatever then you should be able to start it up, close out the front end, and then come back to it later to change the music.

That is something you cannot do currently with X Windows.

For security you will probably want to stick you applications behind a Apache reverse proxy with SSL encryption and digest password logins.

Application:http://localhost:8081/index.html <---> Apache:https://remote.example.com:443/app_name.html <====SSL Encryption + Digest logins====> Client browser

That sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    This will be cool when they can pull this off: GDK_BACKEND=broadway gdm. Other than that I don't see much use in this, although it's very cool

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post
    It's quite strange, in the place of the video, I have a "Aww snap !" etc. It asks me to get a HTML5 compliant browser.
    I thought I was running minefield i.e. a beta of Firefox 4, which is as far as I know HTML5 <video> compliant if that is the problem.
    I suppose it is the same broken way of testing user-agent instead of supported features...
    vimeo is not using webM so this might be a problem

Leave a comment:

• Xipeos
    replied
    Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
    how is this useful at all?
    Run any gtk application directly from websites with no code change. It could, for example, replace java and flash for web applications (but the server would do all the work), or probably serve as a sort of VNC.

Besides that, it's pretty damn nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X