Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Minute Changes To GNOME Shell, Mutter

Phoronix: Last Minute Changes To GNOME Shell, Mutter

Version 2.91.90 of GNOME Shell and Mutter were released last night and they carry some last minute changes to these major components of the GNOME 3.0 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hear they've removed the minimize/maximize buttons. Some pretty dramatic changes to GNOME 3, and yeah they are kind of dictating an user experience now and offer less options than ever (font sizes, suspend, etc.).

Still, I kind of like where GNOME 3 is going. I would be very worried if didn't have alternatives, but we have (GNOME w/ Unity, KDE, ...).

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      I hear they've removed the minimize/maximize buttons. Some pretty dramatic changes to GNOME 3, and yeah they are kind of dictating an user experience now and offer less options than ever (font sizes, suspend, etc.).

Still, I kind of like where GNOME 3 is going. I would be very worried if didn't have alternatives, but we have (GNOME w/ Unity, KDE, ...).
      I just build the last gnome 3 now, and there isn't minimize/maximize buttons, only the close button is left.

Comment

Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
        I just build the last gnome 3 now, and there isn't minimize/maximize buttons, only the close button is left.
        Sorry, the edit limit.

That is something that I don't understand. If the title bar is used only for view the title of the windows and to close it, and this functions are int the gnome-shell (next to the date/calendar applet), what is the purpose of the title bar now? It's only a wasted space.

Comment

Font sizes should scale automatic anyway (can you change the font of your physical newspaper for example?) and changes to a semantic desktop and window management aren't so bad at all. Suspend because shutdown is kinda pointless nowadays and increasingly in the future (Do you see this with Apple products?).

Anyway I saw some recent videos on YouTube and I think that it is a perfect GUI for people that just use a computer to get shit done and move on to do something else.

Where's that document? Where's that tool? Just search it and throw it in an activity. No longer needing a dock because everything is supposed to be an activity. Do you, for example, constantly clean up stuff on your desk to put it back on there in real life and call that efficient multitasking? Activity full? -> Next activity.

I don't even have a bar in KDE anymore; everything is placed as a widget on my desktop and I have a dedicated button to view/unview my windows and notifications, clock, etc... Works so much better...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Suspend because shutdown is kinda pointless nowadays and increasingly in the future (Do you see this with Apple products?).
            I shutdown every night because suspend is broken on my Desktop. No, I do not use any closed source drivers, and no, I don't want to spend countless hours debugging the issue. It just doesn't work and I don't care to fix it. This is yet another big dick move from the Gnome devs.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
              I shutdown every night because suspend is broken on my Desktop. No, I do not use any closed source drivers, and no, I don't want to spend countless hours debugging the issue. It just doesn't work and I don't care to fix it. This is yet another big dick move from the Gnome devs.
              Hopefuly with gnome 3 not alowing easy work arounds suspend will soon be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post

I like what their doing to.. Very minimalist.. I want KDE for myself but im glad a slick gui with such a contrasting design ethos exists.

It still feels slow in some ways though like app icons slow to update when typing.
                There's other small things that bug me to but i'm sure all will be fixed in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                  I shutdown every night because suspend is broken on my Desktop. No, I do not use any closed source drivers, and no, I don't want to spend countless hours debugging the issue.
                  So it's broken and needs to be fixed.

It just doesn't work and I don't care to fix it. This is yet another big dick move from the Gnome devs.
                  You can always switch to KDE

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                    Hopefuly with gnome 3 not alowing easy work arounds suspend will soon be fixed.
                    Yes, because that worked so well with compositing in KDE.

The "We're going to make you do something and if it doesn't work you need to make someone else fix their code" paradigm that seems to be taking hold is pretty user unfriendly.

Originally posted by V!NCENT
                    So it's broken and needs to be fixed.
                    Here's how it goes.

Me: Hey Ubuntu, I can't suspend
                    Ubuntu: Send us the outputs of a dozen different commands
                    Me: Ok
                    *2 months of being ignored by dev, day of 11.04 release*
                    Ubuntu: Hey, we just released 11.04, can you upgrade and re-test
                    Me: Still broken
                    *No action for 6 months*

I've been down this path before with kernel bugs and Ubuntu. The amount of time it takes for me to report and gather information further ignored by Ubuntu does not compare to the time it takes for me to hit the power button and go feed the Dog.

Originally posted by V!NCENT
                    You can always switch to KDE
                    Unforunately that looks like my next move because I'm not sticking with pure Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X