No announcement yet.

Last Minute Changes To GNOME Shell, Mutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're reimplementing iOS for desktop computers.

Never mind that there is a huge fucking difference between how you use a computer with an 11" touch interface and a dual-24"-monitor interface. Never mind that GNOME doesn't run on tablets or touch interfaces because they all use specialized OSes and not Fedora/Ubuntu/etc. Never mind that real people run more than one app at a time and need to actually see and use both of them at the same time. Never mind that "removing window management so you don't get distracted" and "built-in instant messenger" are the two stupidest fucking design things to put into the same shell.

No, what happened was that the GNOME guys realized that gnome-panel is over-configurable and an inconsistent mess with a crappy UI for adding hap-hazard floating applets... and then decided that instead of just making a few relatively simple tweaks to the panel design that it would be better to use HTML and JavaScript to rewrite the desktop to act like a mobile phone OS.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
      I don't necessarily want bleeding edge. I'm running 10.04 still, but I'm looking at what alternatives I have now that Ubuntu has decided to move from Gnome default towards their own bastardized UI.

I just want a stable OS with basic visual effects that has almost all of the packages I need in the main repo. I don't want to be running around enabling a bunch of third party repos for most of my packages. I like apt, but Debian's bullheadedness on crap like Firefox turns me off. The Ubuntu LTS releases worked well enough for that purpose but with Unity coming up for 12.04 I'm not going to stick around.
      My main knock against Fedora is the Repo madness and the fact I hate having to download an ISO just to upgrade my system.
      I'm my experience since Constantine, Fedora has been more stable than Ubuntu. I just tried out the nouveau image for gfx test day and they worked better in the Shell than the proprietary drivers(and there you see a fundamental difference between kde and gnome devs).

Grab a live image from the fedora gfx test day wiki and try it out. It boots absurdly quickly and the image is only around 550mb. Of course they haven't included many apps and its an older version of the Shell but it is very functional and fast(IMHO).
      As for repository you only need two or three depending on your needs (main, rpmfusion,atrpm). Besides yum is awesome. Very consistent and offers some really useful plugins or you could install Smart which has been the best PM I've ever used.

Comment

Why is the theme so ugly?

It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen on a computer desktop. The Gnome artists are the lamest of the kind.

running away vomiting..........

Comment

Anybody know if someone is stepping up to maintain the current gnome panel? I took a look at some recent videos of gnome shell and it looked like a very complicated way of replacing the panel.

Comment

I shutdown every night because suspend is broken on my Desktop. No, I do not use any closed source drivers, and no, I don't want to spend countless hours debugging the issue. It just doesn't work and I don't care to fix it. This is yet another big dick move from the Gnome devs.
            If Gnome Shell still supports classic systray icons, you can just install KShutdown (a pure Qt version exists if you don't want KDE dependencies) or a similar tool. Even though Plasma Desktop never removed Shutdown etc. I find a right-click on KShutdown's tray icon more convenient anyway.

The "We're going to make you do something and if it doesn't work you need to make someone else fix their code" paradigm that seems to be taking hold is pretty user unfriendly.
            It's the responsibility of the distributor to compile a bundle that works well. If, for example, a new window manager version uses features that are broken in driver XYZ, the distributor can just as well either package an older window manager version, patch the window manager to work around the broken feature, or fix the broken feature in the driver itself.

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
            You can try archlinux It tends to work way better then Ubuntu
            It's highly unlikely that a rolling release distribution with much less testing can be more stable than a cycle release distribution with several months solely spent on bugfixing.
            Whenever I hear about problems with at least KDE software, the affected distribution is often Arch.

Originally posted by liam View Post
            I'm my experience since Constantine, Fedora has been more stable than Ubuntu.
            Hardly surprising. Red Hat employs an entire army of programmers whereas Canonical needs to announce loudly that they hired a single LibreOffice programmer.
            Red Hat's programmers most probably align their development roadmaps to Fedora. Ubuntu releases ship a month earlier that Fedora, therefore the code Ubuntu is shipping lacks an entire month of Fedora bugfixing, especially if the Red Hat programmers fix the bugs in their packages first and then push the fixes upstream.

Originally posted by niick View Post
            Anybody know if someone is stepping up to maintain the current gnome panel?
            For the time being the classic panel will ship as part of GNOME 3.
            The Gnome Shell devs just as Canonical's Unity devs went the retarded route to develop their shells as plugins for the window manager (Mutter or Compiz, respectively) instead of a stand-alone application that just talks to the window/composite manager (Plasma/KWin route). And since neither Mutter nor Compiz work without 3D acceleration, a fall-back solution needs to be available and (at least for now) in both cases it's the classic GNOME panel. (As a side note: A crashing window manager should mean that the entire desktop is gone in both projects as well)

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              They're reimplementing iOS for desktop computers.

Never mind that there is a huge fucking difference between how you use a computer with an 11" touch interface and a dual-24"-monitor interface. Never mind that GNOME doesn't run on tablets or touch interfaces because they all use specialized OSes and not Fedora/Ubuntu/etc. Never mind that real people run more than one app at a time and need to actually see and use both of them at the same time. Never mind that "removing window management so you don't get distracted" and "built-in instant messenger" are the two stupidest fucking design things to put into the same shell.

No, what happened was that the GNOME guys realized that gnome-panel is over-configurable and an inconsistent mess with a crappy UI for adding hap-hazard floating applets... and then decided that instead of just making a few relatively simple tweaks to the panel design that it would be better to use HTML and JavaScript to rewrite the desktop to act like a mobile phone OS.
              +1

(10 char)

Comment

Working...
              X