LibreOffice 3.3 and wishlists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 3.3 and wishlists

For reasons beyond my control I've been forced to buy a Mac (MacBook Pro 13"), and part of the productivity software I have to load onto it was OpenOffice.org, while going for it, I stumbled across a nice blogpost comparing LibreOffice 3.3 to OpenOffice.org 3.3... The piece is really interesting and gives LibreOffice the advantage for a few features that are not part of the OpenOffice.org codebase (like WordPerfect improved import filter, and other parts). Anyway, I've always thought that OpenOffice has come a long way and reading through what changes have been done to the codebase for the LibreOffice release, this project looks really interesting.

Looking around I found there is still little in terms of communication and interaction mechanisms ("limited" to mailing lists and IRC on #freenode), and just reading through all what has been changed, I immediately thgouht about a few things that would be (in my opinion) nice RFEs, however there is not a "usual" way to get these to the development team (bugzilla or web-forums, etc).

Mainly what would be avmedia support without the use of Java (gstreamer/xine/MPlayer, QuickTime or Windows Media) on the different platforms, and some other ideas... I guess the best way would be to contact the dev-team on the mailing list? I wouldn't want to subscribe so I wouldn't have to deal with all the mail traffic that would add to my already saturated e-mail account.

However, I really like, at least on paper, all the work these folks are doing. I'm sure that by the time the next refreshments of Linux distributions arrive all will bring LO instead of OOo.

I would really wish they modularize the whole OOo heap. Having it as single binary sucks at best. But implementing this would be like reinventing the kernel from scratch.

Comment

If you like what the Document Foundation is doing, please consider supporting them:

Comment

Working...
      X