Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IcedTea Project Goes To The Web

Phoronix: IcedTea Project Goes To The Web

Back in 2007 the IcedTea project was created by Red Hat for a completely open-source Linux OpenJDK package after Sun Microsystems had opened up most of Java. Since then IcedTea has moved to being based off of OpenJDK6 and this free software project continues to flourish. Today OpenJDK has come to the web in the form of IcedTea-Web. IcedTea-Web delivers on an open IcedTea-powered Java web-browser plug-in and Java Web Start support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought that was supposed to work already. Maybe that explains why I always found it so flakey.

Comment

The plugin has been working for ages here, been compiling IcedTea6 for over a year now

Maybe they've made it work stand alone or something

Comment

Trying not to be troll-y, but... who cares? Are there seriously any Java apps left on the web that haven't been replaced by Flash? Or even Silverlight or HTML5?

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          Trying not to be troll-y, but... who cares? Are there seriously any Java apps left on the web that haven't been replaced by Flash? Or even Silverlight or HTML5?
          Gaydar chat is the main one I use it for, but like most plugins you only notice you need it when it's not there

Comment

As a matter of fact there are a number of games out there that use java, like Runescape, which I think is the second most popular MMORPG, next to World of Warcraft

Comment

minecrap uses java. fuckin addicting crap that is.

Comment

The bankID service in Norway is java-based, so while the internet banking sites are usually html over https, you need java to log in.

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
                  The bankID service in Norway is java-based, so while the internet banking sites are usually html over https, you need java to log in.
                  I second the bankID service that appears to be taking over banking in Norway. It only recently began to work with IcedTea for me.

Comment

RoutePlanners work with it and some other things. I think the WebStart part was always missing. Other parts worked so so.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X