No announcement yet.

KDE 4.6.0 Has Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with devius but RealNC's post shows there's concerns that aren't dealt with.

For me, it's the concept of ignoring bug concerns and this idea of 'newer features' or more superficial developments but bugs, nuisances, annoyances, even if minor, remain and persist.

I considered myself a major KDE fan compared to using Gnome, for e.g., but too many annoyances and this perceived disregard for them is very telling. It's like fixing the bugs or issues is too boring for them and with the lack of manpower, no one wants to do the 'less interesting' work.

Anyway, KDE is now a complete failure, imho.

Even minor issues will bother me. I cannot sync up the time with any of the Servers. I receive errors that don't indicate anything resembling a useful explanation to the user. The notifications that are on via default are useless since there's no added feature to list what these are. LMDE, at least, added the feature themselves. I don't if any other distros do but straight Debian with KDE doesn't. Sure, these are minor to you, probably, but since it's apparent there's many more, it will eventually add up to a frustrating experience.

The other pet peeve I have with KDE is the kickoff menu. I have yet to come across anyone that prefers this to the classic menu. I was told that using the classic menu will include some sort of performance or feature impact but I don't know the details. Point is, since KDE 4, there is way too many 'so-called enhancements' to the detriment and sacrifice of overall effectiveness of the DE experience as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      maybe i have an high tolerance to software bugs but not a single one of your bug really make me cry
      Well, me neither. It's just that they're annoying and make KDE look unpolished and untested.

a clean html5/webm world helps linux more than fixing all KDE bugs.

second on the list would be wayland to kill X and a bugfree opensource driver that helps linux more than an bugfree KDE be sure.
      This has nothing to do with KDE development. They are different devs. KDE devs don't write WebM or X.Org drivers. Are you saying that the KDE devs should focus on HTML5/WebM and X.Org drivers?

but yes sure you can also point out every kindergarden bug of KDE and write how bad kde is this will help a lot
      Mentioning bugs does help KDE. If no one says anything, they won't get fixed, and KDE won't get better. No?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        The other pet peeve I have with KDE is the kickoff menu. I have yet to come across anyone that prefers this to the classic menu.
        Well, now you have. Me!

Kickoff is SO, SO, SO much better than the classic menu.

Comment

So, everyone, your-first-adopter comment please?
          not xperience when you tried it on just the 1st day, but on 4days+.
          want to upgrade my vbox arch to kde to give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
            So, everyone, your-first-adopter comment please?
            not xperience when you tried it on just the 1st day, but on 4days+.
            want to upgrade my vbox arch to kde to give it a try
            After a few days of upgrades, my plasma stopped crashing here. I still get some intermittent crashes, esp. on shutdown, but nothing too serious.

KDE 4.6 / Mesa 7.10 appear to run slightly faster than KDE 4.5 / Mesa 7.9, which is pretty nice in itself. The rest of the changes are mostly cosmetic, as far as day-to-day use is concerned.

I can also confirm every single issue reported by RealNC. Some of those, like the "minimize effect heading towards the wrong part of the screen" also existed in 4.5, which is a pretty weaksauce showing. I'd love it if the developers took made some effort to tie up some of those issues. They may be relatively minor, but they do mar the user experience.

No real complaints otherwise.

Comment

Just finished Installed it. On the spot, I get this KWin closed unexpectedly. Well, it is to be expected, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                hey i use kde4.6 on kubuntu 11.04 and i don't unterstand your problem...

what is your problem??? i use it everyday...
                The problem is with the development model.

It's pretty obvious. It has nothing to do with what bugs you or some other person is experiencing because that is anecdotal.

The problem is the model and the mentality of KDE devs that says that the next version is more important than what is released. Maybe they have a target version sometime in the future they plan to stabilize on, but that means each new point release is a like a beta for the stable version yet to come.

I'm a big KDE4 fan, but when you constantly hear about all the important new things coming up in 4.x+1, or when you look for support and are told that a fix will be in the next point release, it really makes you doubt whether the thing can every be considered stable.

I'm hoping now that they've cleaned up search, hal, and hopefully soon pim, they can focus on bug fixing and performance in within the 4.7 series at least

Comment

Working...
                X