KDE 4.6.0 Has Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Indeed, looks like Blackstar is pointing fingers at the wrong group again.
    Look, I don't really know who is at fault here. The problem appeared as soon as I upgraded from 4.5.x to 4.6.0, so that's my primary lead. Someone warned about crashes on Nvidia 260.xx and newer; I did the same about R600c.

What's the common thread between these crashes?

Funnily enough, KDE tries to collect information for a bug report but then fails whining that "not enough information is available". That's, ugh, helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Look, I don't really know who is at fault here. The problem appeared as soon as I upgraded from 4.5.x to 4.6.0, so that's my primary lead. Someone warned about crashes on Nvidia 260.xx and newer; I did the same about R600c.
      I am unable to reproduce the crash here with Nvidia 260.xx and newer drivers.

Common thread is that it is the same people that are always having the problems.

Comment

They are both caused by Xorg-compatible drivers developed by some big corporation?
        NVidia 260.x doesn't crash only Plasma 4.6. It also happens on 4.4.x as soon as NVidia 260.x is installed. As stated in https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=251719#c1 the drivers causes a malfunction in glibc, so any software accessing that can potentially misbehave.

Comment

Funnily enough, KDE tries to collect information for a bug report but then fails whining that "not enough information is available". That's, ugh, helpful.
          Doesn't it tell you to install the debuginfo packages for KDE from your distro?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Doesn't it tell you to install the debuginfo packages for KDE from your distro?
            Yes it does, but on Arch it seems they aren't separated from the standard packages. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I bet you have to compile the program you want to debug with a debug parameter activated or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              They are both caused by Xorg-compatible drivers developed by some big corporation?
              I thought radeon was developed by the community?

Originally posted by deanjo
              Common thread is that it is the same people that are always having the problems.
              Yeah yeah, how about suggesting potential workarounds instead? My desktop crashes but I can still invoke commands, open windows or even use 3d.

Any ideas? Can I switch to R600g without recompiling stuff? I don't wish to move to fglrx on this system.

Comment

I thought radeon was developed by the community?
                If you are really that clueless, you should better leave Phoronix for good.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  If you are really that clueless, you should better leave Phoronix for good.
                  Explain yourself.

Comment

Explain yourself.
                    Dude, you obviously don't even read the articles here. In pretty much every article about radeon drivers it's clearly stated that it's developed by AMD and not a community project.
                    Easy conclusion: You're only here to troll in the forums.

Comment

Well that was a hell of an unexpected twist! I can't wait to find out how this plot develops.

[CTRL+R]

Comment

Working...
                      X