Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.6.0 Has Arrived

Phoronix: KDE 4.6.0 Has Arrived

Besides today being an exciting day in that AMD has finally fixed the screen tearing issues with the Catalyst 11.1 binary driver (albeit at the cost of increased video memory usage and additional latency), KDE desktop fans can be more excited as version 4.6 of the KDE Software Compilation has been released. KDE 4.6.0 brings many new improvements and features to the Plasma Workspaces, KDE Applications, and KDE Development Platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Again an Ubuntu alpha story get's more column inches than a major version KDE release

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Again an X/graphics-related story get's more column inches than a major version KDE release
      After all, X/graphics is the primary focus at Phoronix, where as the KDE 4.6 release is mentioned at every Linux news site under the sun so there is really no unique value for me to add to it. If you would like to contribute more to the KDE release news item, you're more than welcome to and it's happily accepted.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        After all, X/graphics is the primary focus at Phoronix, where as the KDE 4.6 release is mentioned at every Linux news site under the sun so there is really no unique value for me to add to it. If you would like to contribute more to the KDE release news item, you're more than welcome to and it's happily accepted.
        +1 beer for you if you're ever in DC. Buuuurn

Comment

Excellent I look forward to hearing less news about Gnome 3 / Shell / Unity / Unity-qt and any other mutterings from Ubuntu press releases or mailing lists if they're not X/graphics focused too...

Several paragraphs every 6 months would at least give the folks at Canonical sometime to decide which toolkit they'd prefer to use in the mean time

Comment

Awesome release

Running KDE software 4.6 since RC1 and it is working and looking great. I love how they improved the activities concept with this release. Git integration directly in Dolphin file browser is very nice. And today we also got KDevelop 4.2. Great day for releases

Comment

After all, X/graphics is the primary focus at Phoronix
              Which means you could cover the KWin changes (which didn't happen at all in this news item) but instead even stupid World of Warcraft gets deeper coverage...

Comment

Upgrading right now. Hopefully Kubuntu doesn't blow up like last time.

Comment

What's the startup/login time like with KDE 4.6?

Also, has nepomuk stopped being an atrocious resource hog yet? I appreciate the idea, but last time I tried it (which I think was KDE 4.4.3), it was eating a stupid amount of CPU/RAM/disk.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                    What's the startup/login time like with KDE 4.6?
                    KDM to desktop is about 7 seconds from cold boot here. 3 seconds warm (meaning logging out and then back in again.)

Also, has nepomuk stopped being an atrocious resource hog yet? I appreciate the idea, but last time I tried it (which I think was KDE 4.4.3), it was eating a stupid amount of CPU/RAM/disk.
                    No idea, I have it disabled

Comment

Working...
                    X