KDE 4.6.0 Has Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strike that:
    There's one issue that I am aware of between nVidia (?) and KDE (most likely KDE related).
    Somehow the display on two of my 4.6rc machine simply refuses to go to sleep. [1]
    In-order to solve it, I'm forced to:
    Code:
    $ sleep 30s; xset dpms force suspend
    Ctrl-Alt-L
    - Gilboa
    [1] https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=261005
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
      Strike that:
      There's one issue that I am aware of between nVidia (?) and KDE (most likely KDE related).
      Somehow the display on two of my 4.6rc machine simply refuses to go to sleep. [1]
      In-order to solve it, I'm forced to:
      Code:
      $ sleep 30s; xset dpms force suspend
      Ctrl-Alt-L
      - Gilboa
      [1] https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=261005
      I remember something about PowerDevil power profiles changing format in this version. Maybe it is related to this. Maybe resetting the power profiles to default ones helps fixing the problem?

Comment

Yeah, had to redo my power profiles because they stopped working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
          I've seen some blog posts and reports that KWin 4.6 works much better with NVidia drivers as they have put in some workarounds the problems that these drivers have. But I can't say first-hand since it has been quite some time since I had a NVidia card, all AMD/ATI here and all work fine with open source drivers, even the old Radeon 9600 in my 6 year old computer.
          Thanks for the info. I like KDE a lot and KDE 4.5 seemed like a step in the right direction as far as it working better with Nvidia. I was hoping they were still working on it.

The problem with Nvidia open source graphics is that you get no 3D support. Desktop effects, 3D games and other assorted things won't work. I'm a gamer, so that doesn't sit well with me, I always have to install the proprietary drivers for my Nvidia card.

Originally posted by gilboa
          I'm not aware of any outstand issues between KDE 4.x and nVidia.
          There were a lot of problems, especially with the earlier 4.X builds. It's been discussed quite a bit on the KDE forums. The plasma desktop didn't play nice with the Nvidia proprietary drivers and, as I said above, Nvidia graphics adapters don't work all that well with the open source drivers. I haven't experienced as bad of problems as some people have (depends on your card) but I can't say it performs as well as when I used to use the Intel graphics adapter built into my motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiDude79 View Post
            Does anybody know if it plays nice with Nvidia graphics cards?
            If you're unlucky NVidia drivers 260 and newer can cause Plasma crashes. 256.x is not affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              If you're unlucky NVidia drivers 260 and newer can cause Plasma crashes. 256.x is not affected.
              Sounds fun. I guess I'll just have to do a little testing with KDe 4.6 and see how my card handles it.

Comment

Oh great, I upgraded my Arch installation and now Plasma crashes as soon as I open any maximized window. R600c here.

Way to go, KDE!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Oh great, I upgraded my Arch installation and now Plasma crashes as soon as I open any maximized window. R600c here.

Way to go, KDE!
                  Works OK with r600g here.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Works OK with r600g here.
                    Also works just fine here with r600g (mesa from trunk) on Gentoo

Comment

Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
                      Also works just fine here with r600g (mesa from trunk) on Gentoo
                      Indeed, looks like Blackstar is pointing fingers at the wrong group again.

Comment

Working...
                      X