Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nepomuk

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    What's the startup/login time like with KDE 4.6?

Also, has nepomuk stopped being an atrocious resource hog yet? I appreciate the idea, but last time I tried it (which I think was KDE 4.4.3), it was eating a stupid amount of CPU/RAM/disk.
    As far as I can tell, nepomuk has stopped being a horrible resource hog. It may use more resources at first but once everything is indexed, from then on it doesn't use much at all. At least on my desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
      What's the startup/login time like with KDE 4.6?
      ~5-7 seconds on a quad core Phenom machine.
      ~3 seconds on a dual Xeon workstation.

Also, has nepomuk stopped being an atrocious resource hog yet? I appreciate the idea, but last time I tried it (which I think was KDE 4.4.3), it was eating a stupid amount of CPU/RAM/disk.
      During the 4.6 beta phase I re-enabled it (including strigi) on both machines after having it disabled since, err, it was released.
      After a short burst of activity (presumably, initial indexing), I no longer see it.

FYI, both machines run Fedora 14/x86_64 and KDE 4.6 RPMS from kde-redhat/unstable.

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Does anybody know if it plays nice with Nvidia graphics cards? I really like KDE but 4.X so far has had issues with Nvidia cards, things like slowdowns for no reason and Kscrensaver won't come up 95% of the time, though I prefer Xscreensaver anyway, but it would still be nice if Kscreensaver worked.

I might have to try it out after Mint 10 KDE is released.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Which means you could cover the KWin changes (which didn't happen at all in this news item) but instead even stupid World of Warcraft gets deeper coverage...
          Nah... that would only happen if it was bad news about KWin or if Ubuntu switched to KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiDude79 View Post
            Does anybody know if it plays nice with Nvidia graphics cards? I really like KDE but 4.X so far has had issues with Nvidia cards, things like slowdowns for no reason and Kscrensaver won't come up 95% of the time, though I prefer Xscreensaver anyway, but it would still be nice if Kscreensaver worked.

I've seen some blog posts and reports that KWin 4.6 works much better with NVidia drivers as they have put in some workarounds the problems that these drivers have. But I can't say first-hand since it has been quite some time since I had a NVidia card, all AMD/ATI here and all work fine with open source drivers, even the old Radeon 9600 in my 6 year old computer.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              Nah... that would only happen if it was bad news about KWin or if Ubuntu switched to KDE.
              Wouldn't be surprised if Ubuntu shipped kdelibs-mobile in a year or so.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft bought a Linux Distribution after a while.

Comment

Seems to work perfect here on openSUSE, although never had any real issues since KDE 4.2 and those were not video card related.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
                    I've seen some blog posts and reports that KWin 4.6 works much better with NVidia drivers as they have put in some workarounds the problems that these drivers have. But I can't say first-hand since it has been quite some time since I had a NVidia card, all AMD/ATI here and all work fine with open source drivers, even the old Radeon 9600 in my 6 year old computer.
                    I think Nvidia has acknowledged the issues and thus are working to fix them, so hopefully the newest ones will work better with Kwin

Comment

I'm not aware of any outstand issues between KDE 4.x and nVidia.
                      (In short, works for me - though I rarely use anything between the basic blank screensaver)

- Gilboa
                      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                      X