Wine 1.3.12 Brings Initial DOSBox Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
    So on your planet people need to install Windows to run .NET stuff and DOS to run the old DOS executables.
    For DOS executables on Windows, on my planet we use the Windows version of DOSBox.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Not sure why this is useful. If I wanted to run a DOS program in DOSBox, I would not run it in Wine in the first place, I would run it in DOSBox
      Wine won't ship with DOSBox at all. Basically what this is all about is that when Wine encounters a DOS executable it will do 'dosbox appname.exe' (in a slightly smarter way). It is all about offloading work to a dosbox binary IF it is around. Just to make things more user friendly and it would allow us to get rid of our DOS code at some point (not sure if there are plans for that).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        i really wish the wine developers would focus more on directx than on things that can already be accomplished in other software. dosbox does not need to be implemented into wine. i haven't really used wine in about 2 years but from what i noticed, it barely got any better since the last time i used it.
        I agree with you. Dosbox isn't anything useful for me in Wine and nobody is eagerly waiting to see it in Wine.

I also noticed that the fact that Wine is getting better very slow is that skilled developers continuously prefer to do easy tasks like
        Convert XYZ to ZYX
        or
        Pass 'something that is called XYZ' as 'the same but called ZYX'

In my opinion both above tasks + dosbox is waste of human resources -> time -> money
        Last edited by NSLW; 22 January 2011, 03:12 PM. Reason: lack of word

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Not sure why this is useful. If I wanted to run a DOS program in DOSBox, I would not run it in Wine in the first place, I would run it in DOSBox
          Not always. There is software for Windows that launches DOS programs or scripts for specific tasks. Almost anyone who has worked with Windows at some point would have occasionally seen a black box flash by. Others don't even try to hide it and just launch a DOS program when it needs to, sometimes even interactive. In Wine, that could have been a problem, but not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by W3ird_N3rd View Post
            Not always. There is software for Windows that launches DOS programs or scripts for specific tasks. Almost anyone who has worked with Windows at some point would have occasionally seen a black box flash by. Others don't even try to hide it and just launch a DOS program when it needs to, sometimes even interactive. In Wine, that could have been a problem, but not anymore.
            Launching a cmd.exe console is NOT the same as running a DOS program.

Comment

I agree with you. Dosbox isn't anything useful for me in Wine and nobody is eagerly waiting to see it in Wine.
              I am waiting for Dosbox integration, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                I am waiting for Dosbox integration, actually.
                Out of curiosity, what for?

It seems like a reasonable feature for Wine to implement, but I can't think of much it would actually affect.

Comment

Well, the idea behind DOSBox integration is that if it works well Wine doesn't have to implement / fix DOS support itself, VM86 support on 64-bit Linux in particular. Although pretty rare, there's still a reasonable amount of Win16 / Win32 applications that will spawn a DOS application at some point, e.g. during installation.

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                  I also noticed that the fact that Wine is getting better very slow is that skilled developers continuously prefer to do easy tasks like
                  Convert XYZ to ZYX
                  or
                  Pass 'something that is called XYZ' as 'the same but called ZYX'
                  As opposed to complaining on the internet, I suppose. For the record, there are certainly more exciting things to work on than doing cleanups, but those need to happen at some point if you want to keep maintainable code.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                    Can someone explain this DOSBox integration in a little more detail? When would DOS not be supported natively? When running on a non-x86/x64 arch? But don't you run Wine through QEMU in this case?
                    VM86 mode is not available from long mode (x64). It still works on x64 processors if running an x86 kernel, but it's not available when running an x64 one.

Comment

why does WINE need to do this. I mean Dosbox plus Launcher " at least whats available for the Haiku OS already does this automatically". you just double click the .exe and the program runs if its supported by dos box. Here I show this in the following screen shots.I am sure linux has similar capabilitys.

I haven't used dosbox on linux yet but I plan to migrate most of my office machines to linux/wine to get them off windows. I have had my last bout with flash base viral intrusions into my data.

The leading source brandable domain names. Competitive prices. Excellent service. Get your domain name today.

The leading source brandable domain names. Competitive prices. Excellent service. Get your domain name today.

Comment

Working...
                      X