No announcement yet.

Amarok 2.4 Brings Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone attempted to backport amarok 1.4 to qt4 and is able to build on newer gcc releases then that'll be a great thing

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
      If anyone attempted to backport amarok 1.4 to qt4 and is able to build on newer gcc releases then that'll be a great thing
      In post 2 in this thread, Clementine was mentioned, which is forked from Amarok 1.4 and ported to Qt4:

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
        I don't think somebody is going to do that. There are some projects about Amarok 1.4:
        Pana, which is Amarok 1.4+patches.
        Clementine, which is a fork of Amarok 1.4, ported to Qt 4, with many modification, but still similar to the old Amarok.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
          But have they finally brought it back to feature parity with Amarok 1.4? The race is on whether I go with Amarok or Clementine when I finally decide to move away from 1.4 and KDE 3.5.
          Not exactly.

While they've slowly picked up more features that were in 1.4, 2.# still crashes far too often at the start of a new song (on a Gnome desktop) whereas 1.4 never did for me, and there's the odd feature not there (like auto-prompting when it can't play an audio codec and auto-offering to installing the missing packages for you, which worked perfectly well with 1.4 on a Gnome desktop but is still absent from 2.#). 2.# still messes up my playlist even on a fresh install after I've built the playlist from scratch (albums songs aren't all grouped together even when sorting by albums, which is infuriating).

It's not even always improvements between 2.# releases - there's also some areas it gets worse. For example, they hide options more and more, like the random play (not the shuffle playlist option, which is different) that doesn't appear in the menus any more and is relegated on an icon you have to click, and the icon doesn't even have the old dice picture, but a picture unrelated to the random/shuffle concept, and the pop-up on hover tip doesn't even say anything about randomise or shuffling (yes, it's really that retarded ).

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
            (like auto-prompting when it can't play an audio codec and auto-offering to installing the missing packages for you, which worked perfectly well with 1.4 on a Gnome desktop but is still absent from 2.#).
            I'm pretty sure that's been fixed, at least if you're using the GStreamer backend. Most others should already have everything anyway. I know i saw a blog post talking about this, anyway, so if it's not in 2.4 then it will be in 2.5 for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
              I don't think somebody is going to do that. There are some projects about Amarok 1.4:
              Pana, which is Amarok 1.4+patches.
              Clementine, which is a fork of Amarok 1.4, ported to Qt 4, with many modification, but still similar to the old Amarok.
              Unfortunately the latest Clementine completely screws up the UI. And worst of all they did certain changes to the Linux-specific UI that makes it look worse than on Windows and OSX

Comment

UI changes

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
                Unfortunately the latest Clementine completely screws up the UI. And worst of all they did certain changes to the Linux-specific UI that makes it look worse than on Windows and OSX
                Where's the difference? If you mean the tabs on the left, there are like 5 ways to show them, just right click on the sidebar.

Comment

well yes the tabs on the left but also the smart playlist implementation which makes no sense what so ever

Comment

Working...
                  X