Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will The Free Software Desktop Ever Make It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So there is right now some big changes in the linux-graphics-development.
    We will see mate, we will see.. With html5 and webgl on the way its not a "can this run doom3, unigine games?" situation. Its getting much more serious than that. If AMD can't deliver proper support in time for html5 gl, with not a single bug to crash the browsers or display the important web content like shit, then ATI linux users can be confident.. If not AMD will be sucking linux into its hole every passing html5 revolutionized day.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
      Yes, but some are a lot easier to handle. The problem is that simple operations like i.e. installing a software are no longer simple if the package is not included in the default repository.

Linux fails to make simple things simple.
      Erm... This sounds a lot like simple/easy vs familiar. See #5a.

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
        I have a laptop with nvidia corporation's g210m gpu, and I can do everything with it the hardware is manufactured to do.
        That's great.

But your suggestion that we should boycott companies that release OSS drivers and in turn support a company that hates OSS with a vengeance is not going to fly with every Linux user.

Have fun with Unigine Heaven, I'll keep using xrandr and enjoy out-of-the-box support and integration with the rest of my system. We're both happy, and voting with our wallets

And at least Intel supplies its customers with opensource drivers not just opensource text specs with magic numbers on them
        So does AMD, what exactly IS your point?

No FUD please, this is a serious forum.

Comment

Can Nvidia drivers run vim yet? Last time I checked, it was b0rked

Comment

a company that hates OSS with a vengeance
            Companies don't feel hatred. They act on logic and statistics (like a mentat). The reason why nvidia doesn't release opensource drivers or just hardware specs like AMD did is that their hardware and drivers are by far superior to AMD/ATI's hardware and software.Their hardware and quality OpenGL drivers that work with linux workstations fuel the effects you see when you watch movies like Avatar and Pirates of The Carribean. Its perfectly understandable from a bussiness point of view why they don't want to share this know-how with an inferior competitor.

Comment

New board, still 1-minute edit window... If Luc gets pissed off at quotes in xorg.conf I wonder how he'd feel about this.

ANYWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY...

About Luc's rant:
              He laments the lack of "installation options to chose (sic) from". Wondering exactly what he missed, maybe he should have used the Alternate CD instead.
              As for the xorg.conf issues...
              Code:
              Option "string" "value"
              has pretty much been the syntax for a while.

The blog post in itself is a bit confusing, since he doesn't say exactly what he'd want to see changed, he could be asking for automated configuration tools to avoid bloopers with xorg.conf.

You have to read through the comments:
              That's grounds for firing people in my book: nobody tested what happens when X refuses to start. No driver issue, no hw issue, nothing: not a single bit on the hardware was touched by X.

Then, when the thing turns white, and only then, the whole patronizing thing comes back with a vengeance, and gives little to no option to to recover from this. Nothing present to try to catch a failed boot, no ssh, no grub menu.
              Well yes to a certain extent... Though, are users (even more so the Ubuntu audience) supposed to mess around with xorg.conf these days? And aren't those who do so supposed to be careful enough not to screw up the conf file?

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                I think his issue was more of: if something does go wrong (and it almost certainly will for some average users) that there wasn't any easy method of recovery, and there he does have a point.
                a. He should have RTFMed or asked on a user forum
                b. Then he'd have learned that pressing 'shift' while booting would have allowed him to fix the issue. This is the same key as Mac OS X and very similar to Windows 'F8' boot.

However, the real issue here is that the X server failed to parse his configuration file due to a trivial parse error and didn't try to recover at all. This isn't Ubuntu's fault: it's the fault of the X server.

To make a system robust, you start by making its composing parts robust. Fix X and the issue automatically goes away.

And guess which is the least robust subsystem in the modern Linux desktop. Yeah, it's X. Fix your own damn bugs before bitching about others'.

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
                  Companies don't feel hatred. They act on logic and statistics (like a mentat). The reason why nvidia doesn't release opensource drivers or just hardware specs like AMD did is that their hardware and drivers are by far superior to AMD/ATI's hardware and software.Their hardware and quality OpenGL drivers that work with linux workstations fuel the effects you see when you watch movies like Avatar and Pirates of The Carribean. Its perfectly understandable from a bussiness point of view why they don't want to share this know-how with an inferior competitor.
                  Nice troll.

The nouveau guys made half-decent drivers through reverse-engineering alone. There were no secrets hidden there that killed Nvidia.

With a LITTLE BIT of good will from Nvidia, we would have decent OSS drivers for their cards, like we do for the ATI cards. They would lose nothing.

See, while companies like AMD and Intel fund a lot of OSS development (Kernel, Mesa, X, and others), Nvidia has never helped OSS in any significant way.

I won't support such a company, even if Unigine heaven looks groovy. I jumped off that ship years ago after my hardware got deprecated, did not work well with KDE4, and there was no open source driver to fall back on. The automatic update of the drivers simply left me with a dead X and left me debugging.

No such crap on OSS drivers, even if I can't render Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    from the article:

be more careful the next time Luc . May the codes be with you.
                    I fought the syntax and the syntax won. #include sarcasm.h

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                      New board, still 1-minute edit window... If Luc gets pissed off at quotes in xorg.conf I wonder how he'd feel about this.

ANYWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY...

About Luc's rant:
                      He laments the lack of "installation options to chose (sic) from". Wondering exactly what he missed, maybe he should have used the Alternate CD instead.
                      As for the xorg.conf issues...
                      Code:
                      Option "string" "value"
                      has pretty much been the syntax for a while.

The blog post in itself is a bit confusing, since he doesn't say exactly what he'd want to see changed, he could be asking for automated configuration tools to avoid bloopers with xorg.conf.

You have to read through the comments:

Well yes to a certain extent... Though, are users (even more so the Ubuntu audience) supposed to mess around with xorg.conf these days? And aren't those who do so supposed to be careful enough not to screw up the conf file?
                      1st: Alternate CD is an unbelievably stupid idea, all because 1 click through option can be skipped then for the dumb-idiots install.
                      2nd: The fact that i actually dared (OMG!!!!!) to edit a conf file is completely irrelevant. As i have pointed out tons of times by now: "xserver says no" == "laptop is allowed to explode": that's the issue.

Really, the idiocy i see here is astounding. You people actually are really working hard on claiming that this is exactly how it should be. Go back to windows and apple guys, all of you.

Comment

Working...
                      X