Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 3.3 Nears; RC3 Released

Phoronix: LibreOffice 3.3 Nears; RC3 Released

While Oracle has out Open Office 3.3, The Document Foundation is currently finishing up work on their fork of OpenOffice.org known as LibreOffice. LibreOffice 3.3 is soon going to be released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any chance of an article reminding us what 3.3 brings to the table

Also does anyone know if they've merged any of the go-oo stuff?

Comment

@Michael: It's the second time you mention it, but what do you mean when you say that Open Office 3.3 is out? On their openoffice.org, they only push 3.2 og RC8 of 3.3 - or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
        @Michael: It's the second time you mention it, but what do you mean when you say that Open Office 3.3 is out? On their openoffice.org, they only push 3.2 og RC8 of 3.3 - or am I missing something?
        Open Office and openoffice.org are now two different entities. Basically Open Office is now what Sun's StarOffice once was: a proprietary office suite based on openoffice.org.

I know it's confusing and I agree that it's a low marketing move on Oracle's side.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
          Open Office and openoffice.org are now two different entities. Basically Open Office is now what Sun's StarOffice once was: a proprietary office suite based on openoffice.org.

I know it's confusing and I agree that it's a low marketing move on Oracle's side.
          Okay, that explains it - thanks for clearing that up for me! Is there any difference in the two software suites (on features, ?) or is it simply support that comes with Open Office over OpenOffice.org?

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
            Okay, that explains it - thanks for clearing that up for me! Is there any difference in the two software suites (on features, ?) or is it simply support that comes with Open Office over OpenOffice.org?
            Uh what I heard is that it has some "cloud based" features, plus advanced adminitration tools for enterprises...

Comment

I wonder how much faster LibreOffice is compared to OpenOffice. Start-up time, the GUI responsive when scrolling, etc. Memory usage. Has it any advantages for the user over OpenOffice?

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                I wonder how much faster LibreOffice is compared to OpenOffice. Start-up time, the GUI responsive when scrolling, etc. Memory usage. Has it any advantages for the user over OpenOffice?
                LibreOffice and OpenOffice share ~99% of the code base, so the main changes are patches (mostly OXML and VB script support and faster startup time) from go-oo.org OO.br, that were previously denied access to OpenOffice due to OpenOpen's (very) problematic development model.
                However, as time progresses it's very likely that LibreOffice will deviate further from the OpenOffice code base.

In short, unless something major breaks, in the short term, LibreOffice should be somewhat better than OpenOffice, but nothing earth-shattering.
                Hopefully in the long run, LibreOffice true OSS development model will attract far more developers, making a far better alternative to MS Office.

- Gilboa
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

When I tried out LibreOffice 3.3 RC3, I found it slower than OpenOffice.org 3.2.1. This could mean that OpenOffice.org 3.3 is slower, but I suspect it has to do with all of the extensions that go into LibreOffice by default.

Comment

Once it gets the ability to saves as .doc files koffice will be my only office suite. Its already my default. Maybe libreoffice will change things and give it some much needed direction. The problem with the whole openoffice project seems to be at heart its an attempt to make a 3rd rate clone of ms office 2000.

Ms office might not be free or support odt by default..... or natively run on linux but its really trying to give it a nice ui and develop itself into somthing pleasant to use. Certinly its a lot better than it was 10 years ago.

If you want an office suit to beat MS office you need them to have a more developed vision of where you want to take it. Koffice/calligra, at least in terms of word processer, seems likley to be the first to really over take ms office in terms of quality. I like krita better than gimp as well.. though it still needs some polish.

My opinions are base more from word processor and maybe a little power pointish work than anything else i can't really coment on speedsheets or databases. Though openoffice seems far ahead of koffice from my brief database use.

Comment

Working...
                    X