No announcement yet.

KOffice 2.3.0 Office Suite Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wonder what they mean by "Krita being certified as ready for use by professional artists".

anyone an "artist" here, that can actually give some feedback on the "readiness"?

how it compares with gimp and ps? is it another mature alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Koffice (or Caligra) does not have feature parity with OpenOffice, and probably never will.

If you need basic Office functionality, and don't need perfect import of MS formats, KOffice might be good for you. The main strengths of Koffice are excellent integration (embedding of spreadsheets and graphics, etc.), clean design and modest resource requirements.

OpenOffice looks like an alien on every operating system in the world, and is slow as molasses. Very featureful and mature, though.
      even openoffice i think has plenty of compatibility issues, but considering how mature it is, thats why i asked my question in the first place. considering koffice has a lot less developers, who are probably less dedicated and just the fact that koffice hasn't been around for as long (as far as i'm aware), i feel like koffice has no particular advantage other than the fact that its more lightweight.

i'm actually going to try it now. i'm very impressed by what the developers of kde have done, so i'd think koffice should be at least adequately satisfactory.

i'm not sure where you're getting the idea that openoffice looks alien, to me it works exactly like MS office 2003 and older. for a long while i preferred the way those programs were laid out, but office 2007 seems to be easier to use (although i find it much slower to navigate, and its a nightmare for resource consumption).

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        i wonder what they mean by "Krita being certified as ready for use by professional artists".

anyone an "artist" here, that can actually give some feedback on the "readiness"?

how it compares with gimp and ps? is it another mature alternative?
        Krita is not exactly a replacement for GIMP or Photoshop. While GIMP and Photoshop are primarily image manipulation programs (for photo editing, and the like), Krita is more of a painting program, for artists to create completely new images.

Of course, there is plenty of overlap, and Krita works well for photos. I don't know how well it compares to other programs, but I hear that it's not bad. Probably has fewer filters than GIMP or PS, though.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          even openoffice i think has plenty of compatibility issues, but considering how mature it is, thats why i asked my question in the first place. considering koffice has a lot less developers, who are probably less dedicated and just the fact that koffice hasn't been around for as long (as far as i'm aware), i feel like koffice has no particular advantage other than the fact that its more lightweight.
          KOffice is older than OpenOffice, and is in fact the first complete Open Source office suite.

StarOffice (which later got opensourced and called OpenOffice) is older, though.

KOffice struggles, and has always struggled, due to the lack of active developers. The cleaner code and ease of development make up for much of it, though.

i'm not sure where you're getting the idea that openoffice looks alien, to me it works exactly like MS office 2003 and older. for a long while i preferred the way those programs were laid out, but office 2007 seems to be easier to use (although i find it much slower to navigate, and its a nightmare for resource consumption).
          It doesn't use the native toolkit on any platform, and the native integration (using Qt or GTK or Carbon for painting) is not perfect. It uses its own file dialogs, and doesn't follow any system's HIG.

Comment

Spell Checker

Kword have a spell checker yet?

Who uses Krita? Everybody uses Gimp. It predates KDE.

Google tags: KDE Developers eat your own dogfood.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
              Kword have a spell checker yet?
              You're never used it, have you?

Who uses Krita? Everybody uses Gimp. It predates KDE.
              Actually, everyone uses Photoshop, which predates the GIMP.

Nice troll, though

Comment

news post should be updated to reflect that 2.4 will be carrying the Calligra Branding: http://www.calligra-suite.org/news/k...d/#comment-598

Comment

Depends, I've personally never like Photoshop or GIMP for my uses. For my own personal uses I've preferred the PaintShop line. I've never found GIMP easy to use and I can't justify spending the money on Photoshop. Paintshop does the job without breaking the bank and has an easy to use UI.

Comment

GIMP is powerful and not easy to use.

All the designers I know use Photoshop exclusively. They refuse to use anything else.

Comment

You're never used it, have you?

Nice troll, though

Yes I have, but apparently you haven't. 2.1 didn't have a spell check. So my question was valid. What Linux user uses Photoshop in Linux? Most every Linux user uses Gimp.

I have a monkey not a troll and you checking out my monkey makes me nervous.

Comment

Working...
                      X