KDE SC 4.6 Release Candidate 1 Makes It Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
    Out of curiosity which graphics drivers are you using. The key difference I am aware of with kwin is that it requires some new features than compiz which some drivers don't do overly well.
    No shit. There is a bug with the ATI proprietary driver that causes the mother of all annoyances - minimmmize a window and restore it, tada: X crashes. Solution? Disable (took me a while to figure this one) minimize effects in KWin.
    The KWin devs blame that on the driver. I agree as it does not happen with the nVidia closed driver.

Now watch a swarm of ATI fans here say
    "Here we go again with bashing ATI drivers."
    "The KWin devs only use nVidia."
    "Why don't you send ATI cards to the devs?"
    "Go back to Windows you noob troll"

I just saved you guys some typing. Or did I miss one?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr James View Post
      Yup "KDE is not truly free." There is always one in the crowd that will try to make that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr James View Post
        KDE 3.5 was the last usable KDE.
        (sort of true tho)

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
          KDE 3.5 was the last usable KDE.
          (sort of true tho)
          Without putting oil into fire, I have to agree.
          Just recently booted into an Fedora-8 installation, couldn't believe how smooth, fast and stable the whole desktop was.

- Clemens

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
            Without putting oil into fire, I have to agree.
            Just recently booted into an Fedora-8 installation, couldn't believe how smooth, fast and stable the whole desktop was.

- Clemens
            I used to think the same way up until 4.3 was released. Ever since then things have been just as smooth as old KDE 3.5.

Comment

I expected KDE 4.6 to bring different panels in each activity, but alas they may not come even with 4.7

Comment

In other news, have you seen the performance of the window manager in Windows 7?

KDE has still performance problems for some people, and they speak of merging kdelibs and Qt, which will make KDE 5 or 6, with more problems.
                Did the Qt devs say something about that idea?

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                  In other news, have you seen the performance of the window manager in Windows 7?
                  Terrible. I've noticed windows resizing is much smoother on Linux+KDE than on Windows. What a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Yup "KDE is not truly free." There is always one in the crowd that will try to make that point.
                    Yup but that's sort of a KDE only thing and not a driver thing.
                    I got KDE on Debian Squeeze here. Smooth as silk. Goes to show what bug squashing can do.
                    Only problem I have with KDE is the damn bouncing indicator. But that is easily fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr James
                      Ah, somebody called upon the ATI users to express their relation to KDE.

But you won't hear any of the proposed one-liners from me.

So here I am, user of AMD CPUs for many years, nvidia GPUs for years and ATI GPUs for the last years. Also user of ImgTec chips, VIA GPUs and other stuff. I had a few intel CPUs and now use besides my main AMD CPUs also VIA C3-2 and C7 as well as a TI ARM.
                      Just want to state that I have seen and used a lot of different HW.

I use(d) KDE since ... something with a 3 in front (3.2?) that was back in my SuSE days. Since Gentoo it was iirc 3.4.something, later 3.5.x and now 4.x (since the 4.2 release). I saw the first demos on compositing with KDE 3 live on a Linux day on a presentation held by SuSE, KDE and X devs. I was really blown away by cube and wobbly windows.
                      I also tried/use(d) Gnome, XFCE 4 (thunar always segfaulted so I got fed up with it), and twm (yes, twm, lol, but it never crashed til now).

I acknowledged the message of KDE devs that 4.0 is not a user release and waited. And it was ok to do so. (4.2.x was ok then)
                      I use 4.4.5 / 4.4.7 now on most of my computers but the 4.4.7 update screwed up on my VIAs (CFLAGS were with -Os, maybe it didn't like that). Made me switch to Gnome on these boxes (recent stable release in Gentoo) on the VIAs. (Gnome is ok but sometimes I miss certain things from KDE.)
                      KDE 4.4.7 works on my big AMD though without making a mess.

So I do use KDE for some time now, but I have seen enough to say that it is good and I like it but (of course) it is not perfect and I really wished for more quality releases. Stop the features, first implement stability and performance. You must squash bugs faster than spawning new ones by implementing features.
                      And: Kick that g'dam HAL out! Make "semantic-desktop" optional.

Furthermore if you use something like Gentoo or LFS you'll notice a lot more quarrel (not only in KDE, in all kinds of software). And also KDE bitches with some dependencies or compiling errors from time to time (though Gentoo's stables normally 95%+ work nicely).
                      Other users will miss that cause their distributors do all that work for them.
                      (E.g. I remember the last libpng or openssl update, had to recompile 80% of my system's software, god bless revdep-rebuild for helping me with that job.)

I still see some bugs in KDE and compositing of course never worked on the VIA GPUs. It worked on my ATI with free drivers, didn't try with fglrx though.
                      I do not know what GPUs and driver sets the KDE devs use and I surely know that it is a matter of money, time and nerves to test such a big bunch of SW on different systems with different hardware and drivers. But when you call something a release then it should be stable and working - on all machines. Or at least have some mechanisms to disable features that are known to be problematic (which they have afaik).

I don't remember correctly what the last issue with KDE 4.5 was, but iirc. it was also a lot about having the need for high level GPU support for some things and probably even OpenGL 3 support which is only available in few card/driver combinations. I guess most of the free drivers are still on a OpenGL 2 level at best, and cards/chips that are not nvidia or ati-amd are completely out (xgi, matrox, via, s3, embedded stuff and so on), furthermore a lot of older chips don't have the hardware capabilities for OpenGL 3+).
                      As we say in .de the devs should come back to the carpet (from being afloat) and style a running KDE for the average hardware/software stack that people are running today. That would not exclude optional fancy stuff.

I also want to state that ati's propr. drivers are not perfect. fglrx worked most of the time, with some 2d issues in last summer (EXA vs. XAA iirc) but I had much more installation issues in W32 (!) and the last 10.12 catalyst release nearly fubared my W32.
                      But back in my nvidia days I had similar issues. Some releases were good some not.

So I neither blame KDE too much nor ATI-AMD.

this might be interesting to read on the very issue, just found it
                      My last blog post about the driver situation in the KDE Plasma Workspaces in version 4.5 caused quite some discussion. This is great and really required. But it also showed that there are quite som…
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X