Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Unity Desktop Possibly Coming To Fedora
    It is only going to be packaged, it is not going to be in the default install. The title is a bit sensationalist.

Comment

What's with all the re-inventions of panels, desktop icons and applets, OSD notification, etc anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
        What's with all the re-inventions of panels, desktop icons and applets, OSD notification, etc anyway?
        Clean up the mess, ready it for 2010 usage. Nothing wrong with that, actually Ubuntu is doing great stuff.

Comment

Actually, I don't think that this fragmentation is going to do any good to GNOME. It would be better for the project if they got GNOME Shell working and working well, and then present a standardised, sane, stable desktop to compete with KDE.

There is a danger that soon the only thing different GNOME installations have in common is GTK.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Actually, I don't think that this fragmentation is going to do any good to GNOME. It would be better for the project if they got GNOME Shell working and working well, and then present a standardised, sane, stable desktop to compete with KDE.

There is a danger that soon the only thing different GNOME installations have in common is GTK.
            I think both Unity and Gnome Shell are doing great. And I also think that within a year or two after the first stable releases in around April 2011, we will probably see a favourite out of the two that people will concentrate on so don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              a favourite out of the two that people will concentrate on so don't worry.
              Why would anybody out of the community be willing to assign his/her copyright to Canonical?

Also Canonical dictates usability decisions. They already announced that Unity's Dock won't be movable because they want it to be "always close to the Ubuntu button". http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/12/u...t-be-moveable/

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                i wonder if the ubuntu guys really want their new interface appearing everywhere...
                Sure they do. It's free promotion. If a commercial vendor happens to like Unity, he has to go to Canonical anyway because due the copyright assignment Canonical can relicense a proprietary version of Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                  Why would anybody out of the community be willing to assign his/her copyright to Canonical?
                  Why not?

The FSF also requires copyright assignment, as does Novell, as do many other open-source companies. People who disagree are free to not contribute code.

Also Canonical dictates usability decisions. They already announced that Unity's Dock won't be movable because they want it to be "always close to the Ubuntu button". http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/12/u...t-be-moveable/
                  Which is exactly like Gnome Shell, where the panel is not movable. Oy vey.

The difference is that Canonical has hired usability experts to work on Unity, whereas Gnome Shell treats usability as something to be done in hackfests. Which is why Gnome Shell is such a nightmare to use.

Comment

Don't get why people say that about gnome3, been using it for ages now and really really like it. Only changes i really want are more customization options, applets etc

Comment

Originally posted by Iksf View Post
                      Don't get why people say that about gnome3, been using it for ages now and really really like it. Only changes i really want are more customization options, applets etc
                      Well, I tried alpha versions of both Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity and Fedora 15 with gnome-shell. And I must say I've found gnome-shell to not only give a better user experience than Unity but it also has a much better look than Unity. And I'm certainly not the only Ubuntu user who is not pleased with the Unity experience. I think the Canonical "usability experts" really screwed things up with Unity.

Having said that, gnome-shell looks nice but I don't think it's ready yet. Like you said it really needs applets and more customization options, and there are also some graphic driver issues with gnome-shell.

Comment

Working...
                      X