Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @droidhacker

I would like to test crystalhd, does it work good with xbmc? Btw. as flash is not linked against that lib but loads it dynamically, why not simply:

sed -i s/libcrystalhd.so/libcrystalhd.no/ ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    It was the 32/64 bit thing. Whats the point of 32bit these days?

Anyway... crystalhd seems to work pretty well... but xbmc is another story. It *does* use crystalhd for decoding, HOWEVER, xbmc itself is a problem due to a lack of support for xv.... kinda takes away the benefit of decode acceleration when the playback end of things is like that. Probably works OK with a blob GPU driver, but then there's no need for crystalhd

Works beautifully in xine though... xine-lib-1.2 + crystalhd plugin + disable post processing in xine. Also mythtv seems to work.

gstreamer/totem is supposed to work, but I couldn't figure that one out. Not a big deal though, totem blows.

The main glitch I'm finding with crystalhd is support for video scaling. Yes, the playback side of things can handle this, but the crystalhd hardware is itself capable of scaling. It just looks like the DRIVER isn't yet capable of scaling UP, and when you set scaling to anything greater than 1919 wide, it drops it down to 1280 (found a ">=1920" where it should probably be a ">1920").

Comment

There's a 64-bit version but it doesn't include VDPAU acceleration: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l..._111710.tar.gz

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        God bless us we have html5 <video> tag. There is no reason to use flash anymore for videos in the internet. so flash will not be used in the future on vidoe-plattforms like youtube.
        You don't need a <video> tag to embed video. An <embed> tag works just fine.

And because h264 is patent-crapped, they will no instant or legal support for h264 over the video tag in any free operation system like Linus. So this updates are worthless.
        Actually, with a HARDWARE decoder, this IS legal. Fedora can (and does!!!) NATIVELY play back h264 videos if you have crystalhd hardware (currently UP TO bcm970012, but soon to 970015)... because the crystalhd driver is open source.

Don?t get me wrong better video-acceleration support in gpus is a good thing, but flash will die (or videoplayback at least) and I am happy about it.
        Flash was a turd on day 1. It has NEVER performed a useful function. Yet it persists... why? No clue. HURRY UP AND DIE ALREADY!!!

For how much percentage of users is this? let it be 5% Linuxusers, then you must have a Nvidia card (let it be 30%) 30% from 5% thats ca. 1,5% then how many have closed source drivers and original flash installed? 50% ok then we are by 0.75%, how many of them has the right Nvidia Hardware not an older one or onboard chip which is not support again let it be 50% so we are at 0.3-0,4%.
        Don't forget crystalhd... popular on mobiles, even ships with some. And carries the benefit of open source, so out of box support.

... and linux probably higher than 5%. Remember that the OS market share measurements are mainly from store sales (web site user agent measures are pointless...), and... 90% sell with wondoze preinstalled, 10% fruit? So drop 1% from fruit for linux, and... 60-70% from wondoze seem about right? That puts linux up around.... 61-71%?

Ok H264 is well supportet in Linux ^_?
        ... if the good guys get UVD through legal review successfully, there WILL be a significant support for h264 on linux...

Comment

well, i got the beta installed, and it as trouble playing a 600x400 video.. i mean, i can't even move my mouse!

on some other video, it plays alright. and by that i mean it's just as bad as it used to - audio is choppy and the image is heavily pixelated. as an added bonus, the image will flicker to black for a few moments every now and then.

long live linux !

Comment

well my mistake .. i didnt think this was to only be for the benefit of nvidia users .. the console i started firefox from is filled with error messages about not being able to open VDPAU .. it figures, i'm using r300g. ........

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              Actually, with a HARDWARE decoder, this IS legal
              Just to expand on the point of "legalities", with any licensed decoder it is legal. It does not matter if it is hardware or software open or closed. Fleundo does offer a legal h264 decoder , as does of course flash. The broadcom, intel, vdpau hardware solutions are all legally licensed solutions as well as the hardware engines are licensed. With AMD hardware currently the only real legal solution you have is the fluendo plugin. Unfortunately the efforts of the community to provide "shader based" decoding would be, in the eyes of the MPEG-LA, illegal as it would be an unlicensed solution (unless something like the fluendo plugin utilizes "shader based" and is licensed as well.

Comment

@Michael:
                How about integrating the (surface under the) power graphs? That would give something like 'Total power (or rather energy) consumed during the test', a very interesting quantity. Can also be applied to a few other 'usage graphs'.

Comment

Originally posted by damg View Post
                  There's a 64-bit version but it doesn't include VDPAU acceleration: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l..._111710.tar.gz
                  That would be pointless since my ONLY reason for even looking at it is curiosity regarding crystalhd. After seeing yes or no, it was going to get vaporized anyway.

Comment

I am personally unable to get vdpau accelleration with 10.2 32bit using nspluginwrapper on 64bit ubuntu 10.10

Has anyone actually got that working?

Comment

title should be: Adobe's Flash Video Acceleration For "some nvidias" under Linux Work Well

Comment

Working...
                      X