• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone can test 64-bits on r300g?

I will do Preview3 later tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      I actually wish they had chosen OpenVG for acceleration like they do in embedded. Adobe has a lot more experience with it. OpenVG support in Mesa is maturing pretty nicely too.
      The new OpenGL-based compositing pipeline is the first step. Besides, OpenVG implementations are not quite ready yet. Only GMA500 has the stack available to Linux/GLX. There is also ShivaVG (OpenVG implementation on top of OpenGL) but it's not feature complete.

Comment

Originally posted by blandoon View Post
        I don't understand why they could not just write against VA-API. Both Intel and AMD support it (to varying extents), and for NVIDIA, VDPAU can be used as the backend to VA-API. If you do that you've covered 90% or more of the video devices out there.
        The argument can be made why don't intel and AMD just support vdpau instead of going through all this wrapper nonsense.

Kano: BTW more poking around

strings libflashplayer.so |grep VDPAU

shows a bunch more vdpau references.

Including H264 - VDPAU - CPU

Comment

does this help using shadders for video?

Comment

Originally posted by blandoon View Post
            I don't understand why they could not just write against VA-API. Both Intel and AMD support it (to varying extents), and for NVIDIA, VDPAU can be used as the backend to VA-API. If you do that you've covered 90% or more of the video devices out there.
            Probably business. If you don't pay for, it's not integrated and/or enabled. VDPAU or CrystalHD support are easy because there basically is only one platform to validate on for each. For VA-API, you can reach up to 6 platforms to check, not counting the HW you have to buy for. This takes more time. It's weird they went for it with a new Flash-level API (StageVideo). There is no technical reason for this. Most probably, this will annoy more the Open Source Flash Player alternatives since they obviously don't implement that yet, and probably won't any time soon.

Comment

There is nothing for ATI users?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                There is nothing for ATI users?
                Nope. It's GPU discrimination.

Comment

The Hardware acceleration did work with recent nvidia's hardware with vdpau support.

I tried "Big Buck Bunny animation 1080p" from youtube using chromium. The playback was much smoother with 10.2 beta. The GPU got hotter during playback which is an indication that gpu was being used. I did a lsof during playback the results showed that vdpau library was used by chromium.

chromium- 3894 user mem REG 252,3 9556 401488 /usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1.0.0
                  chromium- 3894 user mem REG 252,3 1650708 634508 /usr/lib/nvidia-current/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.195.36.24

The cpu usage was still on the high side about 30% but probably good enough for 1080p playback. It's still beta so it crashes quite often during switching from full screen to window.

I got crystalhd hardware but it's dedicated to xbmc so cannot test crystalhd support.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    Kano, it still boggles my mind why CrystalHD doesn't use one of the common APIs (VDPAU or VA-API).
                    They're both designed for decode acceleration that's integrated with the GPU, and CrystalHD isn't. I don't think it could even support either of the APIs without video driver-specific magic.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
                      Nope. It's GPU discrimination.
                      It's API discrimination. An API that everyone is free to implement in their driver support.

Comment

Working...
                      X