Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.3.8 Brings Various Changes

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.8 Brings Various Changes

There's a new Wine development release arriving on this "Black Friday", but this version doesn't bring any early Christmas presents like Wayland support, DirectX 11.0 capabilities, or usage of the Direct3D 10/11 Gallium3D state tracker. It does though bring a few minor changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not exciting?! You can now open MS Office files with MS Office from your file browser by design! This could not easily be done before; I've tried. At least not for a noob, maybe..

Comment

Maybe I'm easily excitable, but "various bug fixes" gives me a hard-on.

Comment

The MSXML4 parser implementation is no longer tab sensitive, so people installing Rise of Nations no longer need to edit buildingrules.xml to prevent a tab character from causing the game to crash. This also fixes a regression in WINE 1.3.7 that caused the Rise of Nations installer to hang at "Removing Icons...".

That is fairly exciting to me. Now the main thing I want is for the DirectPlay implementation to be improved so that multiplayer in Rise of Nations works again.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          Maybe I'm easily excitable, but "various bug fixes" gives me a hard-on.
          ROFL!

Some of them are actually pretty nice. I had several extra Wine prefixes with specific workarounds for certain games which are now completely unnecessary.

For instance, the XML stuff Shining Arcanine mentioned also makes Civ4 run without installing the Microsoft XML files.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            this version doesn't bring any early Christmas presents like (...) DirectX 11.0 capabilities, or usage of the Direct3D 10/11 Gallium3D state tracker.
            Any news on when this might happen? I am really looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by uheba View Post
              After the pulseaudio implementation...

Comment

Originally posted by dyna View Post
                After the pulseaudio implementation...
                haha good one

Comment

Originally posted by uheba View Post
                  Heh, when Jesus or Mohammed comes back to earth: rolleyes:

Comment

I like that there are man pages now. End-user documentation is so oft-overlooked, I think anything improving that sorry lot is pretty noteworthy.

Comment

Working...
                    X