Beta 2 Of The Enlightenment Foundation Libraries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Great! I like E17/DR17, but with the rise of compositing and SVG; is Enlightenment not getting a bit behind the times? I remember them saying that they won't do 3D...
    This is either spreading FUD or being naive.

SVG is just another image format. We do have SVG loaders.

We also have composite support, with 2 implementations. A compiz port called ecomorph (3rd party) and a native module called "comp". Comp is actually a super-nice example of the power of our technology: you can run it even with the software backend on older machines, or use the GL if it works for you. You can't find any good software compositor over there, however our is using Evas and thus super fast, and it will use mmx/sse/altivec/neon if you have those.

3D is not our focus, really. We use GL (also GL-ES 2.0) ourselves, we can do transformations like rotation, perspective and all, but over 2d shapes (rectangles, images, polygons...). There is no "load this 3d studio file" or "create this mesh of vertexes".

Comment

That reminds me, I have to try track down why the opengl mode of the comp module doesn't work for me. Not that I use composite stuff much (don't go in for the fancy effects - find them too distracting) but E17 does have some very nice features available (and by E17 I mean the libraries and window manager / desktop shell / whatever-you-want-to-call-it).

Comment

@barbieri

Do you mean the software rasterizer, or does comp run entirely without opengl?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          @barbieri

Do you mean the software rasterizer, or does comp run entirely without opengl?
          comp module runs on top of evas, that has a multiple backends: software, opengl, opengl-es, xrender... As xrender is beated hands down in most of tests to software, it's not even in use, but all the others may be used by our module.

You can understand this as a rasterizer.

Comment

Hey I'm not trying to spread FUD. In fact I made it my default session on my dead written 660mHz Celeron EeePC and everything runs so fast now that I decided to use it again! I am so happy about that. It beats the shit out of Openbox!

I must say E17 has evolved greatly since my last try! The only thing that sucks about it is that nothing is EFL based so every app I run looks horrible in comparison

I would love to see a lightweight EFL Webkit browser that launched stuff like Flash video and audio in a seperate app so that when I click on a YouTube video it runs in a YouTube app. That would make my year. Also a simple Facebook app, Google maps app, Google search widget and (already in the making) a document viewer. It would make me ditch KDE even. Not joking

Comment

Hey I'm not trying to spread FUD. In fact I made it my default session on my dead written 660mHz Celeron EeePC and everything runs so fast now that I decided to use it again! I am so happy about that. It beats the shit out of Openbox!

I must say E17 has evolved greatly since my last try! The only thing that sucks about it is that nothing is EFL based so every app I run looks horrible in comparison

I would love to see a lightweight EFL Webkit browser that launched stuff like Flash video and audio in a seperate app so that when I click on a YouTube video it runs in a YouTube app. That would make my year. Also a simple Facebook app, Google maps app, Google search widget and (already in the making) a document viewer. It would make me ditch KDE even. Not joking
              We do have a WebKit-EFL browser called "Eve", it even support HTML5 video if you compiled the WebKit-EFL with that. No support for calling external apps, but indeed it would be good. (Note: if you try eve, it comes configured with user-agent = iphone-like, so you'll get mobile pages, go to Settings and change it if you dislike)

Comment

Cool I will definately check out Eve!

Is there a wireless frontend? I'm currently using the official Wicd-client, but an EFL networking frontend would be nice, although the Wicd icon looks acceptable with the new black and white theme.

Talking about the black and white theme... even with dropshadow it can get a little visualy confusing if you have multiple windows open. It's sometimes a little hard to tell where each widget ends and where the others begin. This is when I have multiple configuration windows open, which isn't uncommon when changin the settings of E.

Other than that; great!

Comment

Guys, sorry if I'm not seeing something obvious, but why should there be a frontend for everything in toolkit zyx?

Comment

I think so that people get a more uniform appearance across the entire desktop. That would be my guess.

Comment

Cool I will definately check out Eve!

Is there a wireless frontend? I'm currently using the official Wicd-client, but an EFL networking frontend would be nice, although the Wicd icon looks acceptable with the new black and white theme.

Talking about the black and white theme... even with dropshadow it can get a little visualy confusing if you have multiple windows open. It's sometimes a little hard to tell where each widget ends and where the others begin. This is when I have multiple configuration windows open, which isn't uncommon when changin the settings of E.

Other than that; great!
                      Enlightenment officially supports ConnMan. We believe it provide excellent services, being fast and easy to write front-ends. Currently we just lack support (UI) for corner case configurations such as static IP or VPN, but shouldn't be hard to add, just lack of users of these features.

Comment

Working...
                      X