Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MythTV 0.24 Brings A New OSD, HD Audio, Blu-ray

Phoronix: MythTV 0.24 Brings A New OSD, HD Audio, Blu-ray

Not only was Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 released today, but MythTV 0.24 made it out in the user-land world today too. MythTV, one of the oldest and most well known open-source digital video recording applications, with this v0.24 release now has many new features and other improvements. MythTV 0.24 presents a new on-screen display (OSD), HD audio support, Blu-ray support, and other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think people really need to put "Non-DRM Blu-ray support" when talking about Blu-ray in Linux.

Comment

MythTV is an amazing piece of software. It's a shame it uses FFMPEG instead of Gstreamer as a backend, making it impossible to legally distribute in the United States due to software patents.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedLincoln View Post
        MythTV is an amazing piece of software. It's a shame it uses FFMPEG instead of Gstreamer as a backend, making it impossible to legally distribute in the United States due to software patents.
        Why? Gstreamer doesn't have nearly as many codecs as FFMPEG, nor does it support the most common forms of hardware acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedLincoln View Post
          I don't care about americas patent stupidity. ffmpeg is by far the best framework.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
            I don't care about americas patent stupidity. ffmpeg is by far the best framework.
            Agreed. I live in America and I think that software patents are stupid, especially in Linux. There you have it.
            Anyway, I am looking forward to this release and thanks to the developers for their hard work!

Comment

I, as an American, also agree: Software patents suck majorly.

Comment

I Hope XBMC hopefully come before Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                  Why? Gstreamer doesn't have nearly as many codecs as FFMPEG, nor does it support the most common forms of hardware acceleration.
                  Gstreamer can use ffmpeg as backend, and so far supports VDPAU and CrystalHD accelerations.

Comment

Originally posted by williamthrilliam View Post
                    I think people really need to put "Non-DRM Blu-ray support" when talking about Blu-ray in Linux.
                    I was getting excited then, I wonder when full bluray support will be available on Linux without jiggery pokery

I remember the DeCSS stuff when it was new and being able to play DVDs on my PC easier under linux than I could on Windows at the time

How times have changed

Comment

Working...
                    X