Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightworks Is Not Coming To Linux Until Late 2011

Phoronix: Lightworks Is Not Coming To Linux Until Late 2011

Earlier this year we reported that the Lightworks video editor was going open-source. This was big news as Lightworks is a professional-grade non-linear video editing application that has received scientific and technical Academy Awards and Emmy Awards. This software has been used for editing films like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Shutter Island. While many have been excited that this application is going open-source, the Linux port will not be available until late 2011...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix
    For now if you're into Linux video editing you'll have to use the recently-released Cinelerra, OpenShot, PiTiVi, and the various other free software projects that have attempted to make a viable non-linear video editor to varying levels of success.
    Or, you know, contribute to the open source effort behind Lightworks. It depends entirely upon which license they choose, and I haven't seen any mention of what particular license it is. But if the license at least qualifies as "free software" (guarantees the four freedoms), then it should be possible to develop a nice community version of it regardless of whether the original company proves to be a good upstream or not.

Comment

Yeah, this looks very nice, but I hope they choose GPL, BSD, MIT, Apache, or something similar for a license, because that has a big impact on how "free" it actually is.

Comment

Yeah, I've open sourced a trillion dollar project!

But!

You can't read the code, can't modify the code, can't borrow the code in whatsoever way, let alone using it.

Try beat that!

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
          Yeah, this looks very nice, but I hope they choose GPL, BSD, MIT, Apache, or something similar for a license, because that has a big impact on how "free" it actually is.
          I like BSD licensed code. I hope that it is not GPL licensed.

Comment

...but will Adobe buy them and focus on Mac and Windows? Haiku port would be nice but not yet obviously...

Comment

The only purpose for Adobe to buy them out is to kill competition.

However Premiere Pro and Final Cut are invincible on PC and MAC market. There is no way for the little pathetic Lightworks to compete directly with them

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                The only purpose for Adobe to buy them out is to kill competition.

However Premiere Pro and Final Cut are invincible on PC and MAC market. There is no way for the little pathetic Lightworks to compete directly with them
                True while Adobe has a tight lock on the graphics market, LightWorks can be like the little engine that could, if it can get a large enough community behind it and develop it into a viable alternative.

Lightworks might be more beneficial to professional photographers with a graphics bent though, rather than being a full-blown graphics application like Photoshop is.

Comment

Working...
                X