No announcement yet.

There's Little Love For Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always found Ubuntu's stock-desktop rather lacking. God forbid you should want to change the default look of the installation, you're required to install a ton of additional bits and use gnome-color-chooser. My thoughts on the announcement:

1: Dropping gnome shell - Probably good, as Ubuntu's current implementation of the gnome shell is horrible. I'd prefer that they fix their implementation though.

2: Adding compiz by default - This is good, as many of us do this anyway.

3: Unity (based desktop experience) - While I want to see what they have to offer prior to passing judgment, unity (in its current form) is not something that I would choose to put on my PC.

4: Required 3D acceleration - The technical term that comes to mind is "retarded". Even those of us with 3d accelerated hardware are periodically without acceleration.

I'll probably take a peek at their plans this weekend, so that I have more information than what is provided by the "news-entertainment" websites.

Comment

Originally posted by virtualspectre8 View Post
      What makes you think they haven't designed a UI? They might have some super secret UI for months now, it happened with Unity Netbook, it could be the case with unity desktop. I'm sure they have concepts and designs that will evolve during development.
      Mainly because you said:

They are going to design a desktop edition using unity's technology.
      Which says that no design has occurred up to this point but by golly they'll get it done soon. God knows no other organization on this earth could slap together a usable UI in 6 months but Canonical will.

Comment

I think it's fantastic. Global menu FTW

Comment

So no one bothered to check that this was merely a blueprint for discussion at UDS, not any confirmation?

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
            4: Required 3D acceleration - The technical term that comes to mind is "retarded". Even those of us with 3d accelerated hardware are periodically without acceleration.
            Are you sure about that? I would assume the desktop will default to something usable with no 3D accel.

Anyways, I am not so surprised about this, and I really think a simple, consistent interface may be a good thing. Android did that: a simple API on top of the kernel, easy to write apps ... and it has exploded!

I kind of wish for a simple interface where you can run GNOME apps, KDE apps, etc, and have them doc properly, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by conorsulli View Post
              Its not the first time we have seen the gnome UI forked! Intel did it with Moblin.
              Neither Unity nor Moblin are GNOME forks. Get a clue before you act like a smart ass.

Originally posted by conorsulli View Post
              At least this way Canonical can develop new technologies and not have them declined the whole time by the closed minded gnome model..
              Gosh, you are clueless...

Originally posted by ModplanMan View Post
              So no one bothered to check that this was merely a blueprint for discussion at UDS, not any confirmation?

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                Are you sure about that? I would assume the desktop will default to something usable with no 3D accel.
                Unity 11.04 will require accelerated OpenGL: http://njpatel.blogspot.com/2010/10/...ut-one-of.html

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Just like Gnome shell; too much mouse movement and too small interface for touch screens. Hell give me a week and I'll come up with a design that's a million times better than that! (And not KDE, but something for usability idiots)
                  Okay.

Here's a week.

Go do it. Blog it, and submit the blog entry as a story to Phoronix. I'm sure they'll print it.

Comment

The use of Compiz is a very welcome move. The ideas behind Unity are really good. Minimalistic interface and a search based app launcher, with most used apps easily accessible via a panel. The netbook edition unity is horribly slow and buggy, and who's to say that the desktop edition won't be buggy as well? but these are bugs that will hopefully will be fixed. People should judge it on the features it brings. Based on those, it's a good move.

I only hope Canonical is a bit more open on their development. This is FOSS after all, not Apple/Microsoft. Show the community what and how you are planning to do things and you'll get the appropriate feedback. They had some mockups for unity when development started, which was good.

my to cents

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                      Unity 11.04 will require accelerated OpenGL: http://njpatel.blogspot.com/2010/10/...ut-one-of.html

Oh, thanks for the link! However, Ubuntu will NOT. From the post you referred to:

So what happens when we detect that we just can't run? We hope to automatically fallback to GNOME Desktop, which will give the best experience at that point.
                      Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                      X