There's Little Love For Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
    If they announced this change and haven't even begun to design the interface that will be launched in 6 months then this is an even bigger fail than it appeared to be initially.

I was already planning on sitting on the LTS because they refuse to settle on any sort of base package selection (F-Spot anyone?), but this is probably enough to push me to Debian.
    What makes you think they haven't designed a UI? They might have some super secret UI for months now, it happened with Unity Netbook, it could be the case with unity desktop. I'm sure they have concepts and designs that will evolve during development.

Comment

Ugh it will use Unity as a base model!! not the netbook shell as it is now! wow how annoying are people as to omit this! It will be an interface designed for desktops based on Unity. Why are you even trolling with how the only good thing is that it will be suitable for is netbooks and small screen devices... As if it will be the UI that we see now it will be a REDESIGN (e.g some of the proposals are: it wont incorporate global menu, it will sport a redesigned menu and a more configurable floating dock) ! please read up on this stuff first.

Its not the first time we have seen the gnome UI forked! Intel did it with Moblin.

At least this way Canonical can develop new technologies and not have them declined the whole time by the closed minded gnome model..(indicator-applets, notify-osd) and bring a modern looking shell to the desktop.

Gnome shell is not much better than netbook unity! which is a woefully unfair comparison anyway because at present you are judging a netbook experience to what is meant to be a full desktop experience(gnome3)!

They have a full 6 months to add the extra functionality.. if we see what they did the last release commissioning new fonts, a netbook shell , software center improvements, Utouch, Ubuntu-one, redesigned installer, Icon improvements etc the new UI should be darn well better than what gnome-shell is stuck with now after months and months of waiting and release push backs.

Rant over but get some facts straight or at least a two sided story... A lot of people are excited about this too you know... sorry if i make no sense but its late and I just jammed everything down onto this comment box to get my point out ;-)

Comment

I knew exactly what people would be going to complain about the minute I read the announcement.

I am very excited by this development.

Comment

You are jumping too quickly to conclusions. For now I have more confidence in Canonical to come up with a good user interface than Gnome. For now the only the Gnome fanboys and the Ubuntu haters are manifesting themselves.

For me as a user I could care less if it is the Gnome shell or something else. I just want a usable, efficient system. Wait and see, let's judge Ubuntu on its merits.

Comment

Unity's interface reminds me an awful lot of my current vertical, icons-only KDE task bar with an added top panel. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Comment

This article is stupid

I like Phoronix, but this kind of articles really put me off. I mean, you don't even mention that Unity Desktop will be different from Unity seen on netbooks. Also, I think Unity is on another planet compared to the chaos with no direction of Gnome-shell.

Comment

Originally posted by conorsulli View Post
                Ugh it will use Unity as a base model!! not the netbook shell as it is now! wow how annoying are people as to omit this! It will be an interface designed for desktops based on Unity.
                Most of us understand that. However, Unity in the current netbook form is a usability nightmare, a major regression over the previous netbook edition. It doesn't inspire a lot of faith in their plans to apply the same broad concepts to the larger desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
                  Unity's interface reminds me an awful lot of my current vertical, icons-only KDE task bar with an added top panel. I remain cautiously optimistic.
                  Exactly, I've moved to vertical KDE panels on both of my monitors. It makes far more sense with wide-screen monitors.

I configured an old laptop with Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook this weekend. There are bugs in it (not being able to add an arbitrary launcher) and performance was terrible, but it was simple and intuitive.

Comment

I can't say much about Unity, but in my experience Compiz clearly is still superior when it comes to performance, driver compatibility and reliability. Mutter developers have been promising improvements for a long time, but we've yet to see it perform as well as Compiz.

Comment

There is no design concept other than "Small screen!". God... I'd love to be the designer. Is this development open for suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                      X