There's Little Love For Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukem33p View Post
    No, it tends not to on my computer. If I run any sort of windowed game, either one or the other slows down. Even with Compiz as the Window manager. No, it's pretty ugly without acceleration. Ubuntu needs to send some of their people to ATi and NVidia and get their drivers improved before they attempt this.

My question is why did Ubuntu choose to make their own? KDE would have made a nice base, or they could have not even gone that extreme and used QT as the toolkit and gone and gone weird with their DE anyway. Which would have clearly been better than this.

OpenSuSe, here I come!

Have you tried Fedora? In my experience since Constantine, it has been rock solid, plus nice repos.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
      Okay.

Here's a week.

Go do it. Blog it, and submit the blog entry as a story to Phoronix. I'm sure they'll print it.
      So I went ahead and mailed it to Mark Shuttleworth's secretary and this is the reply I got:
      Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your email.

I have shared your work with Mark and he says that is an excellent weeks work and he strongly supports your concept of the netbook as a bridge between the traditional desktop and the new mobile world.

Kind regards,
      Claire
      You can download the PDF here:
      4shared is a perfect place to store your pictures, documents, videos and files, so you can share them with friends, family, and the world. Claim your free 15GB now!

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        Have you tried Fedora? In my experience since Constantine, it has been rock solid, plus nice repos.
        I'll definitely try a live cd out, but I'm not sure I want to take that route if ATi support is what I've heard. The one thing I liked about Ubuntu was the fantastic ATi support . I have never successfully installed the ATi proprietary driver, only the Catalyst one available through a repository. So does ATi have a repo on Fedora? If not, then I end up with a post at some point through the experience with this:

Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Originally posted by lukem33p View Post
          I'll definitely try a live cd out, but I'm not sure I want to take that route if ATi support is what I've heard. The one thing I liked about Ubuntu was the fantastic ATi support . I have never successfully installed the ATi proprietary driver, only the Catalyst one available through a repository. So does ATi have a repo on Fedora? If not, then I end up with a post at some point through the experience with this:

Thanks for the suggestion!
          Although I don't own an AMD card, keep in mind who pays for the open source development in Linux for ATI cards. Was that Fedora 11/12? I read about some problems with Xserver versions with those systems and AMD not having supported to newest releases. Though I haven't heard of any problems with 14 it would probably be best to run a livecd and install the catalyst drivers there to see the results.
          For extra repos in Fedora try rpmfusion.com

Best/LIam

Comment

Mirrior Mirror on the Wall Just look at how fast I draw

apt-get install blackbox wicd openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us
            sudo chmod -x /etc/init.d/gdm

Comment

Working...
            X