There's Little Love For Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mereo View Post
    Bah, Phoronix articles are usually sub-par just to get money from their ads...

With that said, people are jumping to conclusions. Yes, changes are difficult but we shouldn't jump to conclusions without even seeing the beta product.

Ubuntu has hired some designers, meaning they will be a hell lot more proactive to people's reactions than Gnome. Also, I feel that Gnome is a product of servers and work distros, not for the general public. And with Unity, Ubuntu will have a COMPLETE control of their Look and Feel of the distro.

Also, this is Linux, you don't like Unity? Feel free to change it to Gnome Shell, KDE, XFCE... whatever. Or change to a different distro.

So I'm giving Mark Shuttleworth the benefit of the doubt before judging Unity.
    With Shuttlesworth "active" role (I'll kindly leave it at that) in notify-osd and subsequent refusal to admit the idea is utterly broken I have no faith in Unity unless it changes beyond recognition.

BTW, try mutter --no-composite. So I really don't understand their movement away from Mutter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mereo View Post
      Originally posted by locovaca View Post
      Oh, you'll see a beta product alright. It'll be released on April 28, 2011.
      Well there you go. When we can actually USE Unity, then we can be mad about it if it's not up-to-par. And no, Unity on the Desktop won't be like the Notebook version because the latter only shows maximized windows.
      facepalm.jpg

Comment

Also, I can't get over how many people seemingly signed up just to bitch about Phoronix's nay-saying. I thought all the obsessive fanboys used OSX.

Comment

I love where Ubuntu is going.

1. Gnome Shell is crap.
          2. Ubuntu needs a uniform desktop across all versions.
          3. Ubuntu needs unique branding in order to move forward.
          4. Competition prevents stagnation.

Go Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

1. Gnome Shell is crap.

Go Ubuntu!
            Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

1. Gnome Shell is crap.

Go Ubuntu!
              +1

And it will be a good time for me to install Nouveau from git.
              Unity needs 3D and Natty will not come with the unstable 3D Nouveau Driver. I have no plans returning to the nVidia drivers :-)

Exiting times are comming

Comment

I hope canonical or atleast ubuntu will die soon and lol at this bs about open source drivers, if u think that basic 3d on powerful video card is awesome then u must be retarded.

Comment

I finnished redesigning Unity. It will be traditional netbook and touch tablet heaven!

Am currently in the process of writing the document and graphics

Canonical is braindead if they don't want to change to this redesign. Gnome advocates will love it and KDE users will flame it to death xDxD

Comment

conorsulli +1
                    bartek +1
                    maestromaus +1
                    -------------- +
                    3 kudo's for you already zoomlab!

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    I finnished redesigning Unity. It will be traditional netbook and touch tablet heaven!

Am currently in the process of writing the document and graphics

Canonical is braindead if they don't want to change to this redesign. Gnome advocates will love it and KDE users will flame it to death xDxD

Comment

Great! It is done

Where can I send the PDF?

Comment

Working...
                      X